• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Help - tumor like nodules

briztoon

5 Year Member
Hey guys,

A couple of weeks ago I bought a young trio of agassizii "Alenquer". Late last week the the male spawned with both females in a period of 3 days. Needless to say, the tank only being 2x1 he copped it a bit from both females.

So I moved him to a spare tank on Monday. He had a few missing scales and what I thought to be a couple of minor head/gill injuries. I am now concerned as he has started to develop small nodules around his gill and mouth area, quite similar to the photo of the Encapsulated metecercaria on page 227 of Cichlid Atlas 1. I am not suggesting he has Encapsulated metecercaria, just saying that what the nodules are starting to look like.

Otherwise the male seems to be recovering, though he is breathing somewhat faster than normal.

Has anyone else ever come across similar symptons? or have any idea what may be wrong with him and know how to treat him?

Peter

briztoon

5 Year Member
Thakyou for the reply Mike.

The growths are rough, similar to cauliflower. They are not large, protruding nodules. But rather, the gill areas look roughed up with little growths on them.

I'm not able to take photographs unfortunately. Some times another forum member comes around and takes a few photos for me, but he probably won't be around for a while.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Look for Lymphocystis on the web. If it looks like this, then all you can do is make sure the water is in top quality. Lymphocystis is a virus and antibacterials are not effective.

briztoon

5 Year Member
The rough areas do not look Lymphocystis. They are still normal colour. It's beginning to look like the gills are extended open as well.

At this stage, I am doing daily 20% water changes. I want to treat him, but untill I know what is wrong with him, I do not know what else to use.

I have on hand, PROTOZIN and STERAZIN from Waterlife, and Melafix.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….