• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Hello!

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
Thanks!

I was wondering could too much tannin harm apistogramma?
This amount of wood and leaves is in the tank about 1,5 month and I didn't notice anything wrong on the fish inside the tank. I do weekly changes of water, about 20-30%. Didn't found anything on net about ammount of tannin that could be harmless to fish.

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi,

Where did you get your rocks and soil from ? A pet store or the wild ?
I would only use sanstone for my Apisto tanks. Do you have also wood ?
If collected from the wild and knowing your region, it could be that something in your tank is contaminated. cheers jk :cool:

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
Hi,

Where did you get your rocks and soil from ? A pet store or the wild ?
I would only use sanstone for my Apisto tanks. Do you have also wood ?
If collected from the wild and knowing your region, it could be that something in your tank is contaminated. cheers jk :cool:

Quartz sand from a store, mangroo wood from a store, branches of grape vine (never treated with chemicals), rocks from the wild (no reaction with vinegar).
I don't know what is rasing pH - maybe something in the sand?
So, maybe I will trie to put some peat in the filter and we will see than.

I bought a. cacatuoides few hours ago and released them in the tank.
I purchased 1m and 2f, hopefully. Fish are very small (m-about 3,5cm, 1f-about 3cm, 2f-about 2,5cm). I will take some photos later and putt them on the forum so you people can tell me if I am right or wrong about m and f.
Last time I checked they were exploring new tank.

There is no big choice of apisto in my area and I had to order fish in the store.
After some waiting I didn't want to wait any longer for a.c "triple red" or a.agassizzi because I had to wait another 2 weeks and maybe then I could get them - but not for sure.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
... rocks from the wild (no reaction with vinegar).

Vinegar (ascetic acid ~5%) is rather weak. There are many carbonate rocks that don't react to weak acids. Dolomite (CaMgCO3) is one. If I remember my paleogeography correctly, it is a common rock in the eastern Alps and Balkans region. If possible try to buy a small quantity of Hydrocholoric Acid (also commonly sold as Muriatic Acid). Take the rock, scrape some into a powder on the surface and add a drop of acid. If it 'fizzes' (effervesces), then it is a source of carbonate hardness. If you have a strong vinegar, it is possible that it might work in the same way.

... I bought a. cacatuoides few hours ago and released them in the tank.

A. cacatuoides is a good 'beginner apisto'. They should have no problems in your water conditions.

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
If possible try to buy a small quantity of Hydrocholoric Acid (also commonly sold as Muriatic Acid). Take the rock, scrape some into a powder on the surface and add a drop of acid. If it 'fizzes' (effervesces), then it is a source of carbonate hardness.

A. cacatuoides is a good 'beginner apisto'. They should have no problems in your water conditions.

Thanks for advice Mike.
I will trie that when I buy Hydrocholoric Acid.

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
Here are some pictures of my tank and fish, so feel free to comment...

P9050039.jpg

P9050051.jpg

P8310145.jpg

P8310048.jpg

P9050013.jpg

P9050028.jpg

P9050116.jpg

P9050136.jpg

P9050144.jpg

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
Thanks Bill and Mike!

Fish are very active during whole day and I get to see them a lot, so I think that they are very satisfied in the jungle with low ligh.

Sasa

ZliBrka

5 Year Member
Few days ago I added Echinodorus amazonicus and Pistia stratiotes to my apisto tank.
Also, I removed almost all of the stones and putt some more mangrove wood (left side - those stones are just holding that mang. wood untill it sinks) and I added some peat in my filter.

Feel free to comment...

Sasa

akv1.jpg

akv3.jpg

apisto1.jpg

apisto2.jpg

apisto3.jpg

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….