• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Having trouble aquascaping

ampdaman

5 Year Member
hello all. i set up a 15 gallon long aquarium about a week ago to house apistos. currently i have multiple low light plants such as 4 anubias crypts, lots of java fern and some java moss. The othe rplants i have are some water sprite riccia and some swords. I want to grow a type of plant that will cover the bottom of the tank and not make it look so bare but when i had my 20 gallon i tried glossostigma and it didnt work, chain swords didnt work and i just tried some riccia but its not really doing much on the bottom (i have it attatched to some java fern which is on some driftwood though) can anyone suggest a good carpet plant that would be good and hardy? I also want my tank to look really full and planted to where i cant really see the bak of the aquarium. any suggested plants? oh and i set up a co2 system if that helps any thanks in advance
-Aaron

farm41

5 Year Member
You didn't say what you had for light, that would help in suggesting plants for your tank. Nothing will do much in a week, you have to have give it time.

Java moss will cover the tank floor, but will take a lot of time. Dwarf sagitaria will spread like wild fire but may be a bit tall for you.

In my experience, bottom dwelling fish such as apistos like to have some of the bottom surface uncovered.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
thanks everyone. i truthfully am not sure exactly the wattage on the bulb. all i kno is that its an eclipse light lol. i was planning on getting a better one once i get the money but its a brand new hood that my freind bought and hadnt used. And the only reason i mentioned the riccia on the bottom not doing anything was because all its done is float to the top. I put a small wire "cage" around it to try and keep it on the bottom.

kingborris

5 Year Member
elocharis parvula is an attractive carpeting plant. It will grow slowly in low light, but it will grow.

dwarf sag as said, echinodorus tennulus and quadicosticus (sp?) are other possibilities

riccia is a pain. it always floats. even if you get it tied down, eventually the new growth will cause the old tied down part to die, and up it floats again. Its also a nightmare to remove completely as the bits get everywhere. I gave up with this ages ago.

ampdaman

5 Year Member
ok. thanks lol ya im gonna have alot of clean up then cus i bought a huge like inch by 6 inch clump of it to cover up my driftwood. joy

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….