• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

growing out more then one apisto in same tank question..

starforsaken

5 Year Member
I have limited grow out tanks, and a few batches with small numbers of fry.
Is there any forseable problem in raising different species in the same tank if they are fairly different.

I want to raise Apistogramma agassizii double red fry with Apistogramma baenschi fry in a 33 gallon. I have about 20 of each.

thanks

cootwarm

5 Year Member
The main problem is identifying the separate species later. Especially the females! A secondary problem is hybridization.

The 2 species you mention have females different enough for you to identify. I'm not sure if they are unrelated enough not to "cross pollinate".
wink.gif

Michael

Apistt_ed

Hello,

I would say that it would be more than possible to house those two species in the same tank. Against all others opinions, I have found A. baenschi to be quite docile. Mine aren't as aggressive as most others have stated, in actuality mine aren't aggressive at all! With all those numbers and the fish being young, hybridization wouldn't be a problem at all. Also, with each species having males and females, the chances that one male/female of each species would attempt to spawn with one of the other species is not likely. Aggies and baenschi aren't related, plus hybridization would most likely come about when the spawning urge is too great and there are no respective partners of the same species. So, I say it's perfectly fine to house them all in the same tank. best wishes... john

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….