• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Grindals and white worms.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Go take a look at the live foods section of Aquabid. There are usually MANY good sources selling all types of worms there for reasonable prices. I personally do not use them. White worms especially are very high in fat... to high for my general fish-feeding. I would use them for getting females pumped up, but I cannot justify the labor/space just for that when other foods work well.

www.aquabid.com

Zapisto

5 Year Member
tjudy said:
Go take a look at the live foods section of Aquabid. There are usually MANY good sources selling all types of worms there for reasonable prices. I personally do not use them. White worms especially are very high in fat... to high for my general fish-feeding. I would use them for getting females pumped up, but I cannot justify the labor/space just for that when other foods work well.

www.aquabid.com
Hi ted,
yes i know, all that.

i use them to getting my female prepared for breeing.
and i would prefer the grindals.

about aquabid , yes i know also , must most of this guy dont want ship to canada.... why ? who know.

and about other food what would you recommend as live food ?
thanks anyway.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
My favorite live food of all time is baby brine shrimp. Fast, easy and all my dwarf cichlids will eat them no matter how large the fish is.

I also like daphnia, but again space and time are a concern. I used to keep ghost shrimp in my tanks. The adults were two large for the cichlids to handle, but the shrimp bred constantly and the fish got to eat the babies.

For my west africans I have really gotten away from the meaty foods. I feed mostly a mix of veggie aand spirulina flakes with about 1/6 of the mix a growth flake (such as earthworm or brine flake). I also feed frozen blood worm once a week or so for variety. All the tanks get bbs everyday. Fry get a blend of crushed flake mix, bbs and microworms.

Blackshark667766

5 Year Member
Grindalworms/Whiteworms

:) both these creatures are easy to keep in moderate temperatures (below 24 degrees Celcius) or 75 Farenheit in old money.

The trouble is: this barely qualifies as "cold" in some countries. Add to this that Grindalworms produce to much of their own muck, that they will die in it within six weeks (if not reintroduced within a new clean culture
preferably within two weeks). You have to be on the ball, to keep Grindals.

Some of the old - fashioned keepers may use them, and I certainly do for raising some of my livebearers.

Whiteworms are a different matter altogether:- between 93 -97% fat, depending on diet and [starvation] :oops: , these should, as T suggests be merely offered as treats, not as "snacks" during a football or rugby game.

If I am going to be criticised for this post may it be for my honesty

Randall and Fogel. please note

The only book that I can recommend concerning these worms is
"Enjoying Cichlids" by Ad Konings. There are two versions, many years apart. Don't be fooled. Even the early version (1986(?) is well worth reading. I believe there is a Second edition -

farm41

5 Year Member
I have both whites and grindals, got them at aquabid too. With harvest in full swing though, I have not had time to maintain the worm cultures. I fear they will be gone now.

My favorite live foods to raise are daphnia and bbs. Still have the daphnia in 3 tanks right now, a good population has even survived my harvest schedule.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….