• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Greetings from Charlotte NC

Rattler93

Hello everyone !!
I started a community 75 gal heavily planted tank with primarily juvenile rainbows about 3 months ago and I added 2 LF GBR about a month ago and they quickly became one of my favorites. I've never had cichlids before. I'm looking to add a few more apistos like cacatuoides agassizii, orange flash or double reds.
Here's my set up
Rainbows all about 5 months old
5 Boesmani
6 Deep Water Creek
5 Goyder River
3 M. affinis Pagwi Village

5 Bandit Corys
6 Rummy Nose Tetra
3 Peacock Gudeons
2 Angelicus loaches
2 Siamese algae eaters
3 oto
1 Flying fox
1 Rainbow Shark ( about 4in and the bully of the tank)
3 Platies ( very fertile)+ many fry

I originally got the GBRs and Gudeons to keep the platy fry population down. The Gobys do a great job on new fry however they're only about 2in so after about a week the remaining fry are too big. The GBRs pick off a few but don't go "hunting" like the Gobys.

2217 Eheim
36 watt turbo twist UV sterilizer
dirt capped w/ Black Diamond Sand

Thanks

gerald

5 Year Member
Welcome Rattler. Assuming your 75 gal is 48" long, I'd recommend just one other pair (or maybe trio) of Apistos, so each breeding group can have 2 ft of territory. The loaches and algae eaters might become problems if/when the Rams, Apistos, or Gudgeons try to breed (if you're hoping to save any). If you haven't met Julie in Gastonia (bowluvr on the Charlotte (CAAS) forum), she's often got Apisto fry available: cacatu's, baenschi, etc.

Rattler93

Thanks Gerald!
Yes I do know Julie she helped me find my Gary Lange strain rainbows. She's got some Herbies fry that I want and she wants some of my rainbow eggs. I haven't herd from her in a while. I think she was moving and other things but thanks for the advice. You're right about the loaches they are the "_______blockers" of my tank. The rams have been trying to mate for a few weeks now. I'm might go ahead and put them in the breeders tank I'm setting up for my bows.

Thanks

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….