• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Gravel and Apistogramma fry

Yeronimo

Hi All,

a few days ago my Apistogramma borelli had their first fry and I was very happy about it. Unfortunately there were only a few that I could see and they didn't survive long after starting free swimming with their mom. Now I am searching for different reasons for this and I hope some of you can help me:

1. My borellis are beginners and not good enough in defending their fry. Will they learn and be better in the future?
2. The fry were eaten by my Endler Guppys or Amano shrimps?!
3. I have a Walstad-tank with gravel (2-4 mm). I read that fry will die if using gravel because of more ammonia / nitrates or big holes where they fall into. Is this true?

Thanks for your help!

Best
Gerd

yukondog

5 Year Member
As far as the gravel they will and can stuck between them and die, I dont use gravel any more just sand, sometimes they get better at parenting sometimes not. Do you know what your water paramotors are? If I want the fry I normally take out the male and leave the female with fry and no other fish in the tank with them, hope this helps, good luck

dw1305

5 Year Member

Yeronimo

Thank you all.

Yes, Darrel, I have a very good root growth and I'm sure that it is a "healthy" soil without negative consequences. I understand what you mean. It should be the same as with a capping layer.

I know that sand would be the better substrate, but thats the way it is now. Hope it will be enough for my pair ;).

Samala

I have borellii fry constantly in a tank with mixed Flourite Black and Onyx Sand. This "sand" is very close to your gravel in size, 1-3mm or so.

I'm not sure that the fry get stuck, but it is very hard for mama to track down any stragglers as the fry camouflage perfectly into the color and texture of the larger grain sizes. Even in a tank with no real predators (just a few beckfordi pencilfish) there is attrition. Estimate that in the monthly batches of 30 free swimmers usually 10 make it to 2-months. Other possible explanations for my survival rate might be feeding regime, too much water movement, or presence of green hydra.

Here's a 2-month old with the "sand":
IMG_20201229_144707685.jpg

Incidentally between the plants and the gravel it is super difficult to catch juveniles out of the main tank to go to the growout that does have sand. If I could do it over I'd definitely go with a sand cap substrate for my sanity and the female's! Alternately, I'd probably setup a dedicated breeding tank if I wanted to churn out lots of borellii.

One recommendation: be prepared to have multiple growout tanks if you are hoping to raise fry to adulthood. These guys are nearing five months and they're still just shy of 25mm/1" mark:
IMG_20201229_145040933 (1).jpg

I would suspect the Endler's as fry predators. Would remove them next time female has eggs. You might also: Add more cover for the female to hide the fry (leaves, more plants, caves). Add sand on top of gravel in female's preferred area (will eventually sink through though). Ensure you have a food source in the tank for the first few days of free swimming life (I add microworms as soon as I see fry even in a heavily planted tank).

>Sarah

Last edited:

Yeronimo

Thank you both!

@Darrel: I will try to put in some sand layer.

@sarah: Your answer helps me a lot! I'm very happy to read that you are succesful breeding with gravel quite similar to mine.
10 of 30 fry are more than enough for me. I just want to have a few. Hope I will be as lucky as you in the future. I will have a look at my guppys :).

What I'm curious about was the small amount of fry just from the start. Do Apistogramma lay less eggs, when they start to breed for the first time?

If I want to breed some fry (about 6-7) externally and sell them, when they are big enough, which size should this tank have? Can it be a "small" one?

Best
Gerd

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….