• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Good worms or bad worms?

RHS788

5 Year Member
I have lots of tiny white worms about 1/16" long and about as thin as a human hair all over a 10 gallon (on the glass) where I have a mother caca and about 15 fry on one side, and another on the other side with about 50 eggs.

The worms are definitely alive and doing well, but I don't know if that is good or bad.

I think they may have been introduced when I added some unfiltered/unboiled rainwater into the tank about a month ago.

Do you think the cacas will eat them? Will they cause any problems to the fish? What the heck are they?

I don't want to move the fish unless they are in danger, and I am concerned if I remove them and clean the tanks that I will kill the fry/lose the eggs. Obviously the most important are the Orange Blaze Cacatuoides. By the way, I also still have a male on the side with the female with eggs.

Thanks for any response.

Randy

bigbird

5 Year Member
Morning,

Just read your mail. Depending on the fish, some will and some will not. They do not have much protein. Would suggest to cut down your feeding by half for approx 7 days. The worms will then starve out thenselves. This is what I have experienced in the past. cheers jan-kurt

Inka4040

5 Year Member
Planaria are thick, flat, and brown. Sounds like nematodes. They are most likely harmless.

nofishtoday1

5 Year Member
I agree Inka... planaria are as U describe as well as having arrow shaped head with 2 "eyes".. the will almost always travel with head forward... most likely nematodes or trematodes which are commonly labeled mistakenlyas planaria... but the frequently occur for same reasons... not harmful on there own but are a sign of deteriorating waste or over feeding... aggressive gravel vaccuuming, frequent partials and reduce the food... all good ways ( all together too) to kill 'em off...

ken

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
The common aquarium planarian is a small species which is white to the naked eye. If they are slow and sticking to the glass they are planarians. If they are fine wiggling threads then they are more likely nematode worms.
Planaria blooms must be ten times more frequent and that is likely a very conservative underestimate.
Few fish will eat them and those that are alleged planarian eaters are unsuitable for a dwarf Cichlid tank and must be starving. It may be the simple act of not feeding the fish explains why even these fish have been credited with eliminating planarians. Just hydro vac your substrate carefully and use more live food in carefully measured portions. Cleanliness is the best way to control them.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bijouxcailloux

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….