• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

goeph. brasiliensis breeding!

The reginator

5 Year Member
My geophagus brasiliensis have just finished with laying their first clutch, the female was laying a bunch of eggs at a time, the male fertilised them then the female scooped them into her mouth, which is a little different to what I've read. I was under the impression that the eggs were laid on some kind of flat suface, covered in sand for a couple of days then the male would scoop them up and guard them, so my question is, has something gone wrong or was the info I had wrong. If they are on track and doing what they should be, how long before I see the little 'uns? Any special care needed?

The reginator

5 Year Member
They're in a breeder tank on their own apart from a pleco (the cleaner) who stays out of sight most of the time, he can be removed if they'd be better without him....

retro_gk

5 Year Member
The reason I asked is because G. braziliensis is a substrate spawner, and is not known to mouthbrood. Unless your fish is from the G. steindachneri complex, who are immediate mouthbrooders, something probably spooked them.

Are you sure the female is mouthbrooding? Do you have pics of your fish?

The reginator

5 Year Member
I've never been entirely convinced that they're braziliensis tbh, look a bit different from the pics in my book. Here's a photo of the male:
IMG_9287.jpg

The female is currently hidden under some bogwood, and seems to still have the eggs in her mouth (you can kind of see them through the skin) and is moving them about...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
You have "Geophagus" steindachneri, the Red-hump Geophagus. As Retro_gk writes, it is an immediate mouthbrooder It can grow over 8"/25 cm long - certainly not a dwarf cichlid.

The reginator

5 Year Member
Oh well, like I said, thought it was a bit odd-looking, were a gift from someone moving continents, they must be about 4.5" at the moment so I wasn't expecting an 8" fish fully grown! So, despite them not being dwarfs, do you have any idea how long before I see fry, or if not a link to a forum dealing with the larger sized cichlids that could be usefull? Many thanks..

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….