• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Getting back into keeping apistogramma

derekw

I set up a new 10 gallon aquarium for an apisto, looking for some stocking suggestions. I would like to house 1 male apistogramma (possibly a bitaeniata), as well as some tetras. I'm not sure if 10 gallons is enough space to do this. If any, what type of tetras will be good tank mates? I do plan on upgrading back to a 20 long in the near future but for the time being all i have is this tank. as for plants ill be adding salvinia to the top and possibly moss. Any replies or suggestions will be appreciated. View attachment GOPR0286.JPG

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, a single A. bitaeniata should be fine in a 10. As for tetras, any smaller (>1 3/4" / 4cm species should be fine. Just realize that some are schooling species and do best in groups of at least 6.

derekw

Yes, a single A. bitaeniata should be fine in a 10. As for tetras, any smaller (>1 3/4" / 4cm species should be fine. Just realize that some are schooling species and do best in groups of at le

Yes, a single A. bitaeniata should be fine in a 10. As for tetras, any smaller (>1 3/4" / 4cm species should be fine. Just realize that some are schooling species and do best in groups of at least 6.
Ok thanks Mike. Ill keep posting the tanks progresses. I'm thinking of creating my own apisto cave out of styrofoam then coating it with pond safe apoxy, then covering the apoxy in sand/rubble. It would be placed under the leaf litter.

anewbie

a couple of the smaller tetra are green neon and ember ... there are other options of course but these are both small and not overly active.

Abeythefishman

I set up a new 10 gallon aquarium for an apisto, looking for some stocking suggestions. I would like to house 1 male apistogramma (possibly a bitaeniata), as well as some tetras. I'm not sure if 10 gallons is enough space to do this. If any, what type of tetras will be good tank mates? I do plan on upgrading back to a 20 long in the near future but for the time being all i have is this tank. as for plants ill be adding salvinia to the top and possibly moss. Any replies or suggestions will be appreciated. View attachment 10686
I have a ten gallon and tried to put a pair of Panduro in there. They fought badly.
I separated them and will try again in a bigger tank at some point.
I have neon tetras in that tank and tried some Amano shrimp but the apisto attacks them….but never catches them.
I have bred apistos in 10 gallons but you need to be lucky to get a friendly pair I guess

derekw

I have a ten gallon and tried to put a pair of Panduro in there. They fought badly.
I separated them and will try again in a bigger tank at some point.
I have neon tetras in that tank and tried some Amano shrimp but the apisto attacks them….but never catches them.
I have bred apistos in 10 gallons but you need to be lucky to get a friendly pair Im only getting one male apisto in the 10 gallon, ill grow him out in there while i set up my 20 long, then ill add 2 females to 20 long (since bits are monogamous) and then the male, aswell as the tetras . at this point im still cycling the 10 gallon

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DayanaSic

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….