• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

german rams witn kribensis, bad idea?

S

SCOTTMD

I have recently joined the "world of the dwarf ciclid" , and purchased 2 female and one male german ram,that was 7 days ago. 2 days ago i bought what i was told were 2 female 1 male kribensis(actually turned out to be 2 males). Well the germans spawned yesterday, and on another forum it was suggested that when the kribensis spawn, they have paired up, they might kill all the other fish. The single male is already being hounded(is it ever funny to see a 1" ram attack a 3" krib) :lol: .

I do have another20 gallon community tank with 4barbs, 4neons, 2 tetras, and a pleco , the dwarfs are in a 25 gallon.I put 4 guppies as dither fish, in with the 3 rams and 3 kribs....any advice?

Z Man

5 Year Member
Possibly I was the person that said don't put them together. Rams are not very good parents as a rule but Kribs will defend their fry and even kill anyone who comes near. Secondly I've heard all the arguments that Kribs and Rams can go together but as the come from two differents continents, I don't think it's a good idea. Their aggression and passive signs are completely opposite.

S

SCOTTMD

I have heard that rams aren't neccesarily the best parents as well. But my pair have attacked the kribs whenever they get too close to the eggs.
Looks funny to see a 1" ram beating on a 3-4 " krib, and they do it as a team .pretty cool. I am going to purchase a tank divider and some baby brine shrimp, and see what happens.

Neil

SCOTTMD,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Rams not being good parents is a generalization. In many cases this is true, but it is not a hard rule. I have had pairs like yours before and they were great.
However, Pelvicachromis are tougher. You may well be OK for a while. And it is entirely likely that the second male will be the recipient of the aggression from the pair if they spawn, but you will need to keep a close eye on things. Keeping these species together is problematic, but not totally unrealistic. Especially with the ram pair you have. See how things go and be prepared for a move, if needed.
Neil

S

SCOTTMD

oops!! too late

Yesterday, I went out and nabbed another female krib, a tank divider, some baby brine shrimp(frozen),and moved the mateless krib to my other tank. This morning, all the ram eggs were gone(the female seems to have eaten them), and the new pair of kribs seems to be quite happy in my other community tank.( It sure has livened up that tank.)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….