• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Garage fish romm?

I plan on attending petco's $1 per gal. Sale. I will use them to start up my fish room, but, is it ok to keep the tanks in the garage with the cars. Mother are electric

P.S.
I have the option of the basement. So I still have another option

Thanks

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Basement is a better option. It is hard to maintain a constant temperature in a garage, unless you take the dry wall off and insulate well and wall of the door and insulate it also. I have seen a fishroom done well in a garage, but the aquarist basically finished that space out as a room, and left a gap between the garage door and the wall of the fishroom to be a shed to hold his garden tools (accessed through the garage door, which slipped up into a space between the false ceiling of the fish room and the roof of the garage).

$1/gallon sounds pretty good, but it is usually not a great deal on smaller aquariums. I bought a 20H today for the regular price of $27. If you approach a small retailer with an offer to buy a lot of tanks all at once and promise to pick them up as they are delivered, you can probably get them for cost plus a 10-20% mark up. Large aquariums are another story.... $75 for a new 75 gallon is a good price. Grab a 300 gallon.... that's a steal!

Thanks. Because I plan on breeding apistos, and the water here in Rockville is basicly liquid rock with a ph of 8.3 . Other thank oakleaves l, are there any cheaper things to lower ph insted of buying backwater extract and acid buffer every 5 months.

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
I recently completed a fish room here at our house. I too was contemplating using half of a two car garage. It would have worked, but the expense of insulating it and adding plumbing and electricity wasn't feasible. Instead, we finished off a part of our basement, to code, and that way, if we ever move, all I have to do is remove the fish tanks, patch a few holes in the walls, and there's a nice new finished room in the basement (adding value to the house).

You can check out some of the questions I had, and the answers I was given by my local club here:
http://www.kcfishclub.org/forum/42-fish-rooms.html

And view the fish room build, start to finish, here:
http://www.kcfishclub.org/forum/42-fish-rooms/34363-brians-new-fishroom.html

I hope Ted doesn't mind me referring you out of his site.

Also, Ted had up quite a few fish room construction videos on his site; http://tedsfishroom.com/category/video-posts/teds-fishroom that would be very useful as well.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The cheapest and most expedient way to soften and acidify water is to get an R/O unit. Tap water that is 'liquid rock' will not acidify with peat very well.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
In a 33 long I would keep a male with three or four females (of a harem species). Make sure that there are separate structures to anchor each female's territory, with sanctuary areas that are cut off from line of sight from the adjacent territories.

georgedv

5 Year Member
Brian that room is something else. I would like to see the water change system in that room....especially how you get the water out of the tanks. Is this a just a hobby for you or commercial......great room enjoy it
g

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
Hahahahaaa. No, it's not commercial, as much as the wife would like it to be. Just a hobby...if I ever make money on this setup, I'll be sure to let everyone know! :D

Can't remember if I put these photos with descriptions up there on the site or not, so here's the basic layout of the water change system...

Tap water can be filled directly into the water barrels, or trickled through this peat filter type bucket.
DSCN4002.jpg

Lineup of barrels (six in a row).
DSCN2514.jpg

Don't forget an overflow for your water storage tanks!
DSCN2523.jpg

Water pump in "last" barrel.
DSCN2505.jpg

Water pump can re-cycle the water from the "last" barrel to the first, thus ensuring a the water is properly treated (dechlor and pH down buffer).
DSCN2513.jpg

If a valve is opened, instead of re-cycling the water, it can be delivered to the tanks. Here are a couple of pics of where it travels down and along the floor into the fishroom...
DSCN2509.jpg

DSCN2512.jpg

Water goes from the water storage barrels (via pump and PVC) through a flexible hose, up to this little contraption that also has a shut off valve. Water fills the tank, you shut off the valve when full, and go to the next. It takes about 4 minutes to fill half of a 75 gallon. Multiply that times eight 75 gallon tanks, and it takes close to an hour to drain and fill tanks; two to three times a week.
DSCN2633.jpg

slimbolen99

5 Year Member
To continue...

To get the water out of the tanks, I simply siphon the water out into the PVC drain under each tank, which then flows into the PVC I have going around the interior walls of the room (1" slope per 10 feet!). The water then drains into a floor drain in an adjacent room...

DSCN3086.jpg

DSCN1493.jpg

veyndy

Pretty neat set-up you have there! you can surely make a business out of this set-up! i'd love to have this set up in my home! i have been a fish-lover for quite a while and i have a couple of few tank already but not as neat as this ones you showed here! from the sound of it looks like its pretty efficient, unlike my traditional way of cleaning my tanks! takes forever! but it really is my hobby and i don't find it tiring at all maybe because i love what i'm doing, taking care of my fishes truly is my passion!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….