• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fry safe apisto tankmates

what south american tank mates won’t eat apisto fry? I know pencilfish are safe but was wondering if there are any others that could go in a 20 long

MacZ

Hatchetfish are safe, but then again because of other factors only work out in a biotope/display tank, not in a breeding tank.
@OP are you going for a breeding tank or a display tank?

Hatchetfish are safe, but then again because of other factors only work out in a biotope/display tank, not in a breeding tank.
I’m gonna do a display tank but would also like for them to breed, if that’s not really possible I’ll just do a display

MacZ

I’m gonna do a display tank but would also like for them to breed, if that’s not really possible I’ll just do a display
Then my best advise is: Go for a display tank, do not get a pair but a single male and toss the idea of breeding. That opens up many more possibilities for other species to add. It's either breeding or display. Hardly happening in the same tank successfully.

Usually a breeding pair in a fully stocked display ends up with a widower as that setting is very (read: fatally) stressful for a female long term.

Memeboi

I dont have any experience with breeding apistos but I would say that a good idea is Breeding and then making it into a display tank once you're done with breeding and raising fry.

Memeboi

Are there any species of hatchet fish that are tolerant of hard water, asking since breeding dithers would be nice for my 29 and philly water is practically Just liquid brick

Memeboi

Hatchets are difficult to breed even in softwater and probably impossible in hardwater without a miracle. They can adapt to hardwater, but not breed.
So they can live in hard water?!
Is there a limit for their adaptability? Philly water is about 8 dGH, and I did phrase that incorrectly, they are dithers FOR the breeding tank, not planning on breeding hatchets., Wanting to breed A.Borellii

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If properly acclimated, most blackwater species can survive (not thrive) in hard alkaline water. I knew someone who kept Discus and Cardinal Tetras in water with a pH ~8 and 14°dGH.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….