• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Freshwater Artemia

cageman

5 Year Member
Hi there,

I'll just put the topic over here, don't know if it is the absolute right place for it.

Anyway, a few weeks ago I bought freshwater artemia.
Is there anyone who has some experience by any chance?
And does anyone know the scientific name of these creatures?
Thanks!

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
The scientific name is Dendrocephalus and to determine de species name you need a very detailed analysis or DNA analysis.

I tried them just once and they seemed to be harder and bigger than artemia so (for me) they´re a good food for bigger fishes, but not for dwarves.

georgedv

5 Year Member
I once read an artical about salt water artemia that said that one good reason to use them (if you buy them or raise them to adult size) is that if they have any parasites the parasites will not survive in fresh water.

My 2 cents.

g

cageman

5 Year Member
True, parasites will probalbly not survive. But the risk of parasites is small in my opinion. I feed my fish musquitolarves and Daphnia which I breed in my garden and never experienced problems with parasites.
However, never say never.:rolleyes:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….