• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Formerly Chromidotilapia sp. "Mondemba"

Neil

I am getting a pair of these fish in from Toyin today, along with some other interesting stuff. But this fish, inparticular, interests me because it is, by all counts, a Dwarf Cichlid.
Apparently, it is now been given a new designation - Benitochromis ufermanni. Here is an explaination by Randall:

"The C. sp. Mondemba were described last year (2001) as Benitochromis ufermanni. I like these fish because the stay small (males 3 1/4-3 1/2" and females about 3") are peaceful and display a range of colors depending on their mood and living conditions. I've found that lighting plays a part in their coloration as well. You might have to play around with it, but under certain lighting these fish will display more colors than under others. L&S write that successful pair bonding can be a problem. My experience with them has been just the opposite. They bond quickly and display courtship behavior almost immediately. Mine are housed in a 65-gallon planted community tank with soft, acidic water, appropriate for Apistos. They are not hot water fish: 76 degrees is fine for spawning."

I will be be trying to work with this fish in fairly small quarters, as I am interested in determining whether this (and possily other Chromidotilapia/Benitochromis) fit within the parameters that I have presented for Dwarf Cichlids. See http://www.apistogramma.com/whatis.htm
They are supposed to be pretty little(?) fish, so I will try to get pics of them after they settle in. More to follow...
Neil

Neil

It has taken months of failed spawns, but my pair finally came out with a small batch of fry. This is one protective couple. The fry are free-swimming and almost never get the chance to swim. They are in the mouth of one of the parents most of the time. I am hoping I can get enough food to them.
These are a small species of Chromidotilapia (now Benitochromis), but still a full 4 inches. Not too much size difference between the male and female. She is beautiful. I can't ever really get a very good pic of her though because they are so secretive.
I bred these fish in a heavily structured 15g. with about 5 African Tetras for dithers. The water is 77 degrees, pH of 6.5 and 2dGH.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….