• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

for those having trouble spawning their fish

aspen

5 Year Member
he he, that got your attention i guess! i found this article by randy carey, and it contains a good outlook on why fish will or will not spawn, and what has given him success. i hope that you like it. look for the article 'like a breath of fresh air'. all of the other articles are in the 'must read' category too. a real good site, imo.

rick

http://www.characin.com/carey/articles/index.html

Neil

aspen,
I looked at Careys' article and think that he offers some good advice. It has been my experience that Dwarf Cichlids, especially West Africans, are prone to spawn under changing conditions or transitional periods. Even for brief transitional periods. I have even had success once, by taking a pair of P.taeniatus "Moliwe" (that had shut down after 1 spawn) for a 4-hour car ride (a family trip to a relatives for the afternoon). I had given up on constant water-changes to trigger them, but I didn't know what else to do. So I figured that I would stress them a little and then treat them well. When I got back, I did a large water-change and put them back in. They spawned the next day.
There has been numerous times where spawning comes shortly after a period of less-than-favorable conditions to good conditions. And the parameters of these changes can include all kinds of things. That seems to leave open a myriad of possibilities for tools that someone could use to spawn troubling species.
Good find aspen and good article Randy. Neil

T

Tina

aspen, I have moved your post to Breeding and Husbandry. It is seems to be about breeding all fish (dwarfs), so I thought it appropriate to place it there. I hope this is ok.
tina

aspen

5 Year Member
neil, one of the great things about the internet is the wide variety of things you can find if you spend some time now and then looking around. the other really great thing is, when you find a person with some great experience in an endeavor you have had good or little success in, there is often a person behind that article who is happy to share their experiences via e-mail. i have been able to learn a great deal this way, and have correspoded with randy carey, and quite a few other published and non-published authors. it is always nice to find someone like karen randall having responded to a q when you get home from a day's hard work.

my advice is to send an e-mail to people either inquiring further to an article, or just to say that you have enjoyed something that you have read, and try and create a relationship with people you find interesting. you never know where it can lead.

have a nice day, rick

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….