• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Flukes & Fry

PikeLee

5 Year Member
A month ago I picked up my first pair of apistos. Viejita II(I think?). The tank was labeled as cackatoo's, but there's no way that they are them. I checked Max's site and they looked almost exactly like them (Viegita II). Just not as much dark red as his near the gills.

Anyways, 2 weeks the purchase I had them spawn. :lol: A week later, the fry were free swimming. They were doing a bit a scratching and twirling around. 2 days ago I had 2 fry left out of 40 and yesterday there was no fry to be found. Today the female is back to guarding her cave. (Hopefully another batch). :wink:

At first, I thought it was me who had killed them, maybe with the water changes. But after reading this forum, very helpful site BTW, I found that it was more likely flukes.

I've read certain cures. But some were using them in regards to adult fish before there were fry and also on their discus.

Soooo, to be clear on things. Is it safe to use fluke tabs or quick cure at 1/2 strength on apisto fry/eggs? If so, what other products has anyone used on their fry/eggs with success?

Just want to find things out before this new batch hatches. Thanks a bunch.

Cheers.

Zapisto

5 Year Member
i will give you my own opinion.

fluke tab is a very active medication.
some adult fish doesn't handle it, so i will not evin think try fluke tab with fry.

aspen

5 Year Member
if you are sure the eggs are fertilised, formalin 37% can be used at 1 ml per 10 gal, for a 4 hour bath, followed with a 50% water change. i have used this same method for 11 day old discus fry, with no losses. aeration MUST be maintained throughout the process. following the bath, they should be moved to another tank. the flukes are not killed, they fall off and curl up on the bottom of the tank. alternately, this can be done in a bucket. 3 treatments, 3-5 days apart is suggested, to get the hatched fluke eggs.

i would suggest that you treat your pair with the bath method before trying to get them to spawn.

you can try quick cure, but i find the formalin to be much more effective. it is getting more difficult to obtain, but it is not impossible. it is very cheap compared to patent fish meds like fluke tabs or quickcure. 500 mls. costs about 7.00 u.s. don't bother with the 2 or 3% stuff it is way more expensive than plain old formalin. if the formalin is cloudy DO NOT USE IT! it is deadly when it has been stored very cold.

if you can find praziquantal, use that for a 2 week treatment. i have never used it, but i hear it is much more mild than formalin and is very effective.

i would not use fluke tabs, it seems to be pretty hit and miss as to whether your fish will live through the treatment although i have heard it is very effective.

btw, i call what you are describing 'death rolls' as the fish will fly around the tank in a crazy fashion, then fall to the bottom of the tank dead.

hth, rick

mak

5 Year Member
I'd let the next batch hatch & see what happens before using any chemicals post-hatch. All of us have a batch die, tho it's disturbing to watch it happen.

I just watched 3 SAE's die out of 15 I've put in my new planted tank. Heck if I know what killed them (every water chemistry parameter I know checked out), but that "death roll" (great term!) is ugly to watch.

BTW, I've used fluke tabs (again, 1/2 strength) successfully to kill hydras that were decimating my ram fry...

mk

aspen

5 Year Member
if these were fish that spawn over and over, i would say let them try it. but this may be the only spawn you get from them. (been there, done that.) i would do what i could to save these ones and prevent it from happening again.

rick

PikeLee

5 Year Member
Aspen,

Thanks for the prescription. I've been having a hard time with my PC, so I haven't been able to find formalin 37% on the web yet. Since they are already on they're 2nd spawn, I'm just going to let them go for it and wish for the best. I'm still going to look for the formalin though. Since this pair I have seem to work well with each other. If the 2nd one goes down the tubes with the "death rolls", I'll hopefully have the proper medication for the 3rd batch.

Mak,
I had some left over fluke tabs from treating my notothalamus pikes. But since these are my first set of apistos and the only ones that I have spawning, I need to be a bit cautious. These fish do seem a bit strong and very healthy though. Hopefully there 2nd clutch will be as well.

They should hatch any day now. So I'll post an update once I get one.

Thanks for the input.

PikeLee

5 Year Member
UPDATE:

Well, I wasn't home yesterday, so I'm not sure if they became free swimming yesterday. But I'm home today and I see them out and about with their mother.

I've been monitoring them for a while now and they look healthy. No Flashing or "Death Rolls". Hopefully nothing will happen.

I fed them some BBS and did a 25% water change. And an hour after that, they still look quite active.

So hopefully the rest of there development will go well and I won't have to use any chemicals. Thanks for you your replies.

BTW, Aspen...
Where do you get your formalin 37%? I checked the web and I found sites that state what it is and used for, but no where to purchase it. Just figure I keep something like that handy for the fishy medicine cabinet. I already have the Fluke tabs.

Thanks again.

fishgeek

vets will use formalin for sending tissue samples to the lab, a co-operative vet may be helpful if you explain what you are using the formalin for
otherwise it's got to be lab supply type outlets that i can think of

andrew

PikeLee

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Fishgeek :lol:

Hopefully I can find a vet that will help me out. Never met one before. Hopefully they're a lot kinder than most doctors :wink:

Take it easy. And if I find somewhere the Formalin can be purchased I'll post it up.

Cheers.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….