• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish possibilities with aggies

newworldan06

5 Year Member
I got a trio of aggies (small guys still). It is a 30 gallon very well planted with tons of driftwood and 2 coconut caves. I was wondering what bottom feeders and algae eater i can get? I am gunna get some oto's.

-What kind of pleco? That wont hurt plants or anything else

-What kind of bottom feeder? (I plan to breed aggies and have heard corys will eat the eggs and the female can not protect because of the cory's shells.

-I have an odessa barb in there and a danio(which i hope will be killed but haven't yet) I put them in for cycling and tryed to get them out but woulda just ended up tearing up my tank. Will the aggies still breed and protect eggs even with them in their. Will they only not protect if there are bigger fish?

Thanks a ton

Apistt_ed

Hello,
aggie females are usually great with rearing fry and a couple of mine actually killed the males short after breeding (all in 15gal tanks)so, bigger fish I don't think should be a problem for the female aggie (one on one in certain circumstances).

But as for plecos ... I say otto Cats instead of plecos. Ottos won't eat fry or eggs plecos will. i've had Clowns, royals, blue spots, vampires, rhinos, snowballs, and redtail plecos all at one time or another with my apistos and have seen cases of disappearing eggs(?) and a fat pleco a couple of days after... so I'm not sure if they ate the eggs but as soon as i took them out, the apistos success rate for breeding went up greatly. If this isn't something you mind, all the before mentioned plecos are good with plants as long as they're fed a good regular diet. I will have cross cut zuccini and seedless cucumber along with algae wafers and they haven't been a problem with the plants although they will root them up every now and again.

Bottom feeders?
for what? personally i believe apistos make fine bottom sifters. 'specially if it's fine gravel/coarse sand. but that's my opinion. that's all i can really add for bottom feeders... sorry. It was a little long but hopefully it helped a little. good luck.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….