• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Fish not eating

David Tucker

[quote=" I guess the only advantage to adults is that they produce more shrimp, but I think that there are other crustaceans better suited to cultivating.[/quote]

I would like to know more about these other crustaceans. I have looked into triclops or what ever they are called because they can live in fresh water and grow up quite a bit larger then brine shrimp but I do not know what to feed them also and do not know if they are aggressive and will eat things like fry or not, because they look like the face huggers from the Alien movies. Man my brain is not working and I need coffee.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Try Gammerus shrimp. The do get pretty large, but the young are eagerly eaten by juvenile & adult apistos. These are much easier to raise than Daphnia. Truthfully, the best apisto food is mosquito larvae, if you're willing to put up with the adults. Of course, for most of us they are a seasonal food.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I don't like to disagree with Mike, and Gammarus are excellent food, but I've always found them are a bit tricky to culture, mainly because they come from relatively cool, flowing water. The similar Isopod crustacean Hyalella azteca (or Asellus aquaticus) is much easier.
Truthfully, the best apisto food is mosquito larvae,
I like these as well, and there are details about culturing them in this post <http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/index.php?threads/help-id-please.10386/#post-56094>.
I use a black 5 Gallon "builders bucket" filled with rainwater with a handful of dry leaves and a handful of glass clippings added. I put it somewhere shady and float a cork in it (the mosquito female needs somewhere to perch why she lays her eggs). If you want to contain the grass clippings, you can tie them up in a stocking. If the water begins to clear and mosquito larvae production drops off, add some more grass clippings.
Because they breathe atmospheric oxygen mosquito larvae will live in really polluted conditions, and you can increase production x 10 by adding a lot more green leafy material to the bucket. I've always been a bit worried about doing this, but others may know if it is safe or not.

cheers Darrel

edwliang

5 Year Member
i wont choose flake food, apisto is not interested. i like to use granule one. e.g. Tetra Bit Complete, OSI shrimp pellet. of course, bbs is the safest and best food for apistos.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….