• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

First Pair of Apistos!!

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Hello everyone,

I recently got my first pair of apistos yesterday at A World of Fish Duluth. I go to college in Duluth, MN so I'm just keeping the hobby alive even away from home! I got hopefully a pair of A. Cacatuoides.. Let me know what you think.. Thanks! :)

CSC_0639.jpg

DSC_0610.jpg

DSC_0622.jpg

DSC_0633.jpg

What kind of pleco?
DSC_0650.jpg

DSC_0643.jpg

apistobob

5 Year Member
While I can't tell for sure, it looks to me like you might have two females. How old are these fish? If they are getting toward adult, your only hope is that the one is a sleeper male that will develop better colors and finage now that he is away from the dominant fish. However, I think it is more likely that they are two females. If these are very small - less than an inch it is possible that they are still maturing and you might have a pair.

Bob

dw1305

5 Year Member
female or pair

Hi all,
One definite female (top image), black pectorals etc. I think the other one is a male, although as Apistobob says it's no more than a guess. I'm going for male on the lack of black colour in the pectorals, suspicion of red in the caudal fin and shape of the dorsal fin. I would expect it to colour up fairly quickly if it is a male.
cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Loricariid

Plec looks interesting, not sure how big it is? nothing immediately comes to mind.

Delturus sp. L238? (purely from looking at the images in "Back to Nature guide to L -Catfishes").

cheers Darrel

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Apistobob- Yes these fish are smaller than 1 inch. I believe that it is a male and a female but I will have to wait and see. Can't wait till they start spawning! Thanks Bob!

Maybe I will be safe and go buy a couple more. I bought them for 6.99. Is that a good deal or no? Because usually its hard for me to find

dw1305- Black pectorals means female? I was assuming it meant it was a male! Just a guess though and obviously I'm new to apistos. I know how to tell them apart when they are older tho.. However, I am not new to the breeding hobby :) Thanks!
And for the pleco, its not a gold nugget, but it seems to have more green then a typical bristlenose(what I bought it as). It does have the white tips on tail which hints its a bristlenose but still seems like it has very much green..
hmmm still a mystery! someone help!

Thanks for the help everyone! I'm still new to this species so I love the warm welcoming and all the help!

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Morning,

For the pleco would suggest that you send the photo to http://www.plecomadness.com or go to their gallery. Agree on apistos 1 female otherone may be a male but you will have to see. cheers jk :biggrin:

Hmm.. Not sure what pleco it is still.. maybe it is just a bristlenose but its green tint is unusual. As for the apistos, I may have a male and female, but still might go back and pick up a couple more..

dw1305

5 Year Member
Apology - black fins in female Apistogrammas

Hi all,
Sorry Dan, I don't know quite how that happened, black fins should have read Black VENTRAL fins.

Have a look at this one from Max Gallade:

<http://apisto.bravepages.com/Galleria%20Pages/Fry%20development%203.htm>

Cheers Darrel

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Sorry Dan, I don't know quite how that happened, black fins should have read Black VENTRAL fins.

Have a look at this one from Max Gallade:

<http://apisto.bravepages.com/Galleria%20Pages/Fry%20development%203.htm>

Cheers Darrel

Thanks Darrel. That link didn't work for me though. Could you try again??

And I will soon update pics of my cockatoos! They are eating bloodworms and growing nicely!

ed seeley

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hmm.. Not sure what pleco it is still.. maybe it is just a bristlenose but its green tint is unusual. As for the apistos, I may have a male and female, but still might go back and pick up a couple more..

Looks like Ancistrus sp.3 to me! That seems to be the current consensus on the scientific designation for the Captive bred ancistrus often sold in shops. It may be a pure species or a hybrid (no one seems to be sure) but they're very nice fish!

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Looks like Ancistrus sp.3 to me! That seems to be the current consensus on the scientific designation for the Captive bred ancistrus often sold in shops. It may be a pure species or a hybrid (no one seems to be sure) but they're very nice fish!

Very nice Ed. That may be it! Except mine doesn't have a bristles.. But maybe just males have em or something and I got a female? Thanks tho! :)

Gillie

5 Year Member
Yes it is mainly males that get the 'bristles' and sometimes the odd female will get them but fewer in number.

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Yes it is mainly males that get the 'bristles' and sometimes the odd female will get them but fewer in number.

Oh thank you thank you! Thats what I thought but wasn't sure! Thank you!

By the way, I will try and post some more pics of my cockatoos. They are eating lots of bloodworms but they are kind of looking like the wild ones I have seen before! I will try to get some posted with in the next week.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Apisto fry development link

Thanks Darrel. That link didn't work for me though. Could you try again??

Hi Dan,
The link should work, it is a strange javascript page, so it maybe you need to turn scripts on?

Try <http://apisto.bravepages.com/> and it's in articles "cichlid fry development".

I've also seen it on "Aqua articles"
<http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Gallade_Max_Cichlid_Fry_Development.html>,

although I could only get the cached version yesterday.

cheers Darrel

daphilster08

5 Year Member
Hi Dan,
The link should work, it is a strange javascript page, so it maybe you need to turn scripts on?

Try <http://apisto.bravepages.com/> and it's in articles "cichlid fry development".

I've also seen it on "Aqua articles"
<http://www.aquarticles.com/articles/breeding/Gallade_Max_Cichlid_Fry_Development.html>,

although I could only get the cached version yesterday.

cheers Darrel

Very interesting article! Slowly, I am becoming more and more knowledgeable about the Apistogramma species!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….