• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female sp Schwarzkehl, or other species??

RustedKnight

In my group of Apistogramma sp Schwarzkehl there is a single presumed female which the domainant male seems rather fond of.

My problem lies in the fact that "she" doesn't have the black strip underneath. Could you ID or Sex this fish for me as if it isn't sp Schwarzkehl I want to remove it before any possible crossbreeding occurs.

Here are 2 images of the fish in question.

IMG_9452.jpg

second shot showing lack of black marking underneath;

IMG_9454.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your fish probably is Schwarzkehl, but 'odd' about the chin stripe. It isn't unusual for fish to 'lose' a pattern, especially young/domestic fish. I really can't say if it is a male or female from the photos. The fish probably is still juvenile, but I would expect to see black pigment on the leading edge of the ventral fins on juvenile and/or female specimens.

RustedKnight

Definately a juvenile, and wild caught. I'll just have to keep an eye on her as she grows. Need to move all these fish anyway, damn cyanobacteria bloom in the tank, needs to be stripped.
Too much sunlight, :/

Thanks for the help and info Mike, appreciate it, as always.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(