• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female red tail Agassizi yes or no??

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
OK I thought I had a pair of these then the male dyied. But now that he's gone the female looks more like a male to me in some ways but female in others. What's ya'll thopughts on this????
100_2334.jpg

100_2325.jpg

100_2324.jpg

All help well be thank fully used,in disiding if I keep or not

mematrix

5 Year Member
Re to post

Hi Apisto ranch. Going by the dorsal and pevic fins beeing so pointed I would say Male the tail though it has a lot of color leaves me undecided so much color says male round says female. Mine doesn't have near as much color.

Curtis

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
Man Curtis, your not freaking help!!!!! LOL J/K I was hoping that I was the only one who was having so much trouble with disiding. Ok here's what I'm seeing other then the same as you. The darkness of yellow in the face and there are two darker dots on the side not really seen in these pictures. Let me find the picture I seen them in reall fast.

100_2330.jpg

100_2332.jpg

here's the last two I took today so if they help ya'll { Anybody but Curtis his just like me can't tell LOL I had to pick on you dog LOL }

mematrix

5 Year Member
re to post

:biggrin: Ok I will go with male. Because Mine also has a lot of yellow too and it is for sure a male. And your looks just like him just yours tail is not fully devoped probly still a little young. Mines tail is just starting to go pointed.

Curtis

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
It's right at 6 1/2 to 7 months old. I got the pair off Dave two week before thanksgiving '05 they where round 3/4 to a inche in size when I got them. I'm still thanking female here don't know why but m.

tjd

5 Year Member
Sorry to say it but I have to go with male as well. My subdominant males do not develop the pointed tale even at over a years age. Also, in my experience the females usually do not show as much blue on their sides. I have had a bunch of males that look a whole lot less like males then yours does.

I would be curious how the two act while the other male was still around? At over six months of age I would have expected a pair to have begun spawning.

If you have the Cichlid Atlas check out page 260 for a picture of a subjugated male.

Tom

Apisto ranch

5 Year Member
OOOO RUB IT IN ABOUT THE ATLAS!! No I can't get no one that has it in stock right now for less then 100 bucks shipping and all. I'm poor white trash and have to do it a differnt way. LOL

THANKS

p.s. maybe that's what happened to my other male ????

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree with everyone else - a young (until now) subdominant male. Subdominant males of highly polygamous species have this aggravating habit of looking like females until they are at least a year old (or even older!) or the dominant male is removed.

I once had 2 Rotpunkt females who would jointly raise a batch of fry together. Both were bright yellow/black & looked identical. The fry would slowly disappear over a week. I didn't understand what was happening until the dominant male was removed. Then one of the 'females' morphed into a male over a 2 month period.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….