• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Female ID

apistobob

5 Year Member
I received three of these wild Apistos. They have all turned out to be female. I purchased them as A. pausisquamis but that ID has been questioned. Any opinions as to what they are.

thanks

Bob

P01.jpg

P02.jpg

P03.jpg

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
Heh, I guess you beat me to it Bob. I was about to do the same thing. Here are a few pics of the female I received. All the same fish. Just want to be sure if it's paucisquamis, or not.

female1.jpg

female2.jpg

female3.jpg

female4.jpg

female5.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
At first, Bob, I wasn't even sure that these fish belonged in the agassizii-lineage. But the last two photos show the distinctive metallic blue spot on the corner of the mouth. I don't think that they are A. paucisquamis females. Female pauscisquamis have a more distinct pattern on the tail fins and a black blotch at the anus. I don't think it is any of the species in the paucisquamis-complex (A. paucisquamis, A. mendezi, A. sp. Miuá, A. sp. Gabelband/Fork-band). Females in all of these show fairly distince horizontal stripe(s) below the lateral band. Yours don't. Then I looked at the white belly region. They all seem to show little in the way of scales along the belly between the ventral fins and anus. This is a feature diagonostic of A. gephyra. The broad lateral band is typical, too. I think that you have A. gephyra females.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
As a comparative, here is my other potential female. She came in with my male paucis several months ago. When I got the group of 20 fish, none were sexable. All but this one turned out to male. I'm not positive about her being a paucisquamis either, but I see more potential. The photos don't show it, but sometimes I think I see the black anal spot, sometimes not. Also not evident, but sometimes during displaying and challenging, her fins, namely caudal, will take on a dark pattern of vertical rows of spots. I witnessed this yesterday when I tried to introduce the two females, while the gephyra (?) showed nothing similar.

Bob, you may have helped me out in another area. I have two lonely male gephyra that have no mates. I may be able to fix them up now. Now if I can just get the paucisquamis figured out.

Mike, tell me what you think on this one.

pauci1.jpg

pauci2.jpg

pauci3.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Zack, your fish shows a disinct horizontal stripe below the lateral band. You can also see the scale (some dark-edged) along the belly, too. Your description of the caudal pattern (not visible on your photos due to the net) all seem to indicate that the fish is a female paucisquamis.

I am still not absolutely positive that Bob's fish are female gephyra, but from the photos shown, that is what they look like. It would be nice to see if they have any caudal fin pattern at times.

Zack Wilson

5 Year Member
If that's true, that's great news. I was rather disappointed, to say the least, when one by one the others kept showing males characteristics. This gives me some hope. The males are gorgeous and have a very nice orange chest region.

If you look in the last couple photos I posted of the potential gephyra female, you can see some faint speckling. There is some faint patterning evident. I can always give it a try with the gephyra males. They're quite nice as well. Incidentally, these male gephyra came in with another group of paucisquamis I had gotten ealier. Perhaps gephyra is a common by-catch? This would explain Bob's situation as well....it's all becoming clear...

apistobob

5 Year Member
Mike,

I have been back through my photos and I do not have a good one of a caudal that shows the markings. They are few and light, mostly near the center. They are definitely not a prominent feature.

I will try to get a better shot if I can.

Bob

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A. paucisquamis & A. gephyra commonly occur together in the wild. At the small size that they are collected, it is often hard too distinguish the species from each other.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….