• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Mosquito Larvae to Apistos

bigbird

5 Year Member
Hi all,

As we all know, the wetpools provide great live foods for Apsitos.
I at present have set up two to three plastic containers to get mosquito larvae.
The apistos love them. Has anybody had bad experience with these larvae or are they great. Please let me know. cheers jk :biggrin:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Mosquito larvae

Hi all,
I feed mosquito and midge larvae, glassworms and bloodworms when ever I can get them, great food, and some exercise for the fish. I know that some of the literature suggests that bloodworms aren't good for hard water cichlids, but I've never had any problems with them or Apisto's.

I think as long as you don't feed any larvae that have died I think you will be fine. I'd be more wary of buying bloodworms either live or frozen, because you don't know what quality water they have come from.

For Bloodworms and Mosquito I have a bucket of rainwater with a handful of dead grass, and that also supplies the thin midge larvae, I harvest these mainly when they pupate and are at the water surface (they look like little black commas).

I also stock these with Daphnia, although if the Daphnia do too well you don't get many midge larvae. Bloodworms can be harvested all through the winter from these in the UK, although I assume it's the larvae that are overwintering rather than new ones hatching.

Glassworms I mainly get in the winter, out of our garden pond (it doesn't have any fish in it). They won't live in polluted water, so I would be happy feeding them to any fish, although the commercially purchased dried ones might have become contaminated post harvest.

cheers Darrel

Ruki

5 Year Member
Mosquito larvae are good until they emerge. :wink: Then we have hard times. :mad: IMHO it's the only disadvantage. :)
But Apistos love them. :biggrin:

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….