• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Feeding Issues

Shane Puthuparambil

Hi Guys,

I have a 10g tank which is holding a pair of A. Cacutoides. It is heavily planted, and both seem comfortable. I have been trying to feed them spirulina pellet and some tropical flake that my other fish love, but they seem to just chew on it and spit it out. Are there any tips or tricks to get them to injest the food? Should I try another type of food?

I was interested in collecting some earthworms from my garden and cutting them up super tiny to try and feed them. Is there anything I should know about that idea?

Thanks,
Shane

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Should I try another type of food?
You need some live food to stimulate the feeding response. Have a look at <"Apistogramma agassizii....">.
I was interested in collecting some earthworms from my garden and cutting them up super tiny to try and feed them. Is there anything I should know about that idea?
It is a good idea. Sections of small earthworms are better than larger earthworms, purely because they have more "wriggle".

Have a look at <"What do you feed your cockatoos"> and <"What do we think of red wrigglers?">.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just realize that earthworm are only a part of a good diet. Too much leads to obesity and shortened life span. OTOH worms are a great way to condition apistos for breeding.

Shane Puthuparambil

Can someone send me pics of cacutoides habitat, and some pics of them in the wild? Any articles would be great too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Martin & TomC's site (http://apisto.sites.no/) has many habitat pictures. I have collected A. cacatuoides in locations in Peru and Colombia. Trust me, you really don't want to replicate it in an 'aquarium beautiful'. The cacs you will probably get are all domestic color strains and look quite different in color and fin length from wild forms.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Buthag

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….