• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf Newbie

K

kameronesdiablo

Hello everyone!! :D

This is my first post. I do belong to other cichlid forums but I am thinking of crossing to dwarf cichlids.

Here is my situation.

I previously had 4 cichlids
1 female red zebra
1 male kenyi
1 female kenyi
1 sex unknown bumblebee
1 male bristlenose catfish.

Recently my m kenyi passed away :cry: They had been in a 10 but due to their dramatic growth, I have a 20 gal long that they are getting moved into. W/ the death of my m kenyii, I am afraid that my RZ whom is quite aggresive is going to take all the aggression out on the bumblebee (she leaves the f kenyii pretty much alone). Since most of these cichlids need to have at least a 30 or 55 gal I have made a decission that I will possibly have to give my cichlids to lfs and get something else (though I will be heart broken because I am very attached to them already). They are pretty much mature - each ranging from 2 1/2 - 4 inches... I have been told that my best option is to go with the dwarf cichlids. But I have no experience at all with the dwarfs at all!!

Please..I need suggestions and information on dwarfs. I know that there are probably just as many different species just like the larger cichlids and I know that there must be different lakes and such.

As stated I have a 20 gal long (www.geocities.com/kameronesdiablo click the link for Aquatic). I have put several hiding areas and caves. Since tank is a long, will need ones that like to stay towards the bottom. I would like some coloration. Not sure if I want to breed since I will only have the 20 gal (10 gal is being sold)..

could anyone suggest any dwarfs??
any good websites for information??

Thank you all..and sorry so long!

Neil

kameronesdiablo,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Although you could probably come up with some ways of modifying a little of the aggression of your larger African cichlids, I tend to agree that it is a better choice to go with some smaller cichlids. They have all the personality of the bigger boys and are easier to deal with in a smaller tank. If you are into live plants or will add them at some point, Dwarf Cichlids usually won't cause you nearly as many problems with them either.
Depending on your water perms., you have numerous choices. Since you were keeping (so called) hard water fish before, it may be good to stick with shell-dwellers or Julidochromis species. Something like that. There are also fish from West Africa, that can be very nice as well. Many are tougher to find, but your LFS may carry some Kribs (Pelvicachromis pulcher). As long as your water is not too distant from neutral, they would be fine. Have you tested your waters pH and hardness?

Neil

p.s. I see that you have used some emoticons(faces) on your post. You must enable them by clicking on the "disable Smilies in this post" below. You can go back to your first post and do that after you click "edit" on the top of the post. Or maybe one of the moderators can do it for you.

K

kameronesdiablo

Thanks neil for the warm welcome.

I tend to be a bit off sometimes when I start typing and get so excited to post that I forget to check off the disbale

I actually got some suggestions of peacocks (aulonocara) and some shell dwelling Tang lake cichlids ..um lets see ..oh some brichardis and multifasciatus also.

the only way I thought of modifing the aggression is with "distractor fish" but I know that space is limited in the 20 gal although I think I have made some nice hiding areas and I am planning on adding some slate to make more (www.geocities.com/kameronesdiablo click the link for Aquatic).

well I am running to lunch but should be back in an hour..

thanks

Neil

I think Aulonocara may be putting you in the same position you are in now. Most get fairly large for a 20g. and they can be pretty mean. There are some smaller species, but I think the shell-dwellers is a better bet. Multis would probably be perfect!
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….