• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dwarf Cichlid Books

JG

5 Year Member
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy some dwarf cichlid books and was wondering if anyone could provide some decent recommendations of the best books available. The books I'm looking to buy are:

1) American Cichlids I:Dwarf Cichlids: A Handbook for Their Identification, Care & Breeding (Horst Linke and Wolfgang Staeck)

2) African Cichlids, Vol. I:Cichlids from West Africa: A Handbook for Their Identification, Care & Breeding (Horst Linke and Wolfgang Staeck)

3) Cichlid Atlas (Uwe Romer).

If you have any additional suggestions please let me know ASAP.

Thanks,

J

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Forget the first 2 books by Linke & Staeck. Although good for their time, they are way out of date by almost 15 years. Römer's book is the best available in English, but even it is 6 years old now and there are many new species that aren't discussed in it. Hopefully the addition of volume 2 later next year (hopefully) will fix this problem. Until then the most accurate & up-to-date apisto book is Koslowski's Die Buntbarsche Amerikas - Apistogramma & Co. (how's your German? :) ) As for West Africans I highly recommend that you buy a copy of Anton Lamboj's The Cichlid Fishes of Western Africa. It's new, with almost every westie pictured & discussed. [/u]

JG

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info Mike.

I did live in Austria for a few year but unfortunately my German stinks. I'm sure I could struggle through the book, using a dictionary. Haha.

Do you know a source for purchasing Romer's and Anton's books?

J

Neil

JazzyB,

You might try contacting Randall about Lamboj's book. He might be out now, but he may get more or know where to find them in the US. Romer's book should be easily found via a google search. Many carry it.

MikeW,

Until then the most accurate & up-to-date apisto book is Koslowski's Die Buntbarsche Amerikas - Apistogramma & Co. (how's your German?

I can't stand it anymore. I must get this book NOW! Do you have a suggestion as to where one can order this? I have looked it up and the cheapest price from Europe that I have found is about $50Euro, before shipping. I am willing to pay whatever it takes at this point, but I thought I would ask first. The other consideration is who will take a US credit card for the conversion. What a shame that the dollar is so poor compared to the Euro!

Thanks,

Neil

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I think I saw a previous post that said english versions of Lamboj's book is completely sold out. :cry:
I hope that I mis-understood this.

Michael

Lisachromis

Staff member
5 Year Member
As far as I know, the English version of Lamboj's book is still available. Unfortunately, I'm out of stock of this book atm (actually, it's my husband that deals with the book sales). It will be January before we can order some more. If anyone is interested, send me a pm, and we'll try and get something to you in January.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I can't stand it anymore. I must get this book NOW! Do you have a suggestion as to where one can order this? I have looked it up and the cheapest price from Europe that I have found is about $50Euro, before shipping. I am willing to pay whatever it takes at this point, but I thought I would ask first. The other consideration is who will take a US credit card for the conversion. What a shame that the dollar is so poor compared to the Euro!

Neil,

If none of the usual new/used hobby books/magazines suppliers have it, you can buy it directly from the publisher (Ulmer Verlag). Check the following URL:

http://shop.ulmer.de/h9pdZOKRZEbJXO...0A278F23DC39C255A6F98E615EF3FBCBECA9EE37E0EC2

I'm sad to say that other projects have delayed my translation of this book into English. I still need to finish about 20 pages. Hopefully I'll have done early next year. When it's done, I'll let you know - along with other interesting news. As for the rising value of the Euro against the US dollar, well you can blame a sizable part of that on the Federal budget deficits of recent years.

Xanathos

5 Year Member
Lisachromis said:
As far as I know, the English version of Lamboj's book is still available. Unfortunately, I'm out of stock of this book atm (actually, it's my husband that deals with the book sales). It will be January before we can order some more. If anyone is interested, send me a pm, and we'll try and get something to you in January.

Cool, got it just in time :p

Great book, by the way...

Phil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….