• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do these rocks look safe?

fyrefish

Sorry if I'm being paranoid, I've just never used found rocks in my aquariums before. I found these rocks at a nearby fast flowing creek, since they are smooth and flat I thought they would be nice for my new tank. They have all been extensively rinsed and scrubbed with a scrubbing brush, they all passed the acid calcium test, and I mixed them around in a pot of boiling water for about 10 minutes, so they are nice and clean. A thing to note is they all have red splotches of iron in them, which is hard to avoid with Australian rocks. I know heavy metals like copper are a no go for aquariums, but is iron safe? also, a couple of the smaller rocks have parts of quartz crystal in them. I'll attach two pictures, one of all the rocks that passed the acid test fresh out of the boiling pot, and another of a rock that I accidently split open when washing. (They aren't particularly soft or brittle, I just dropped it onto hard concrete.) You can see all the iron inside this rock, which I assume would be the same in the others as they are very similar externally and from the same creek.

Attachments

• IMG20220128165836.jpg
    IMG20220128165836.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG20220128160619.jpg
    IMG20220128160619.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 111

MacZ

Iron raises ion concentrations and as such conductivity.

In an Apistogramma tank you can completely go without rocks. Use driftwood instead.

fyrefish

I am planning on using driftwood, but I wanted to use rocks for plants like anubias and java fern, and to create caves for the fish to hide. Also, In most of the other rocks, there are only small patches of iron. I read elsewhere that as long as it's iron oxide its not harmful?

MacZ

Oh, it's not harmfulat all, wasn't thinking that direction. It's just going to mess up your water parameters.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As a (former) minerals exploration geologist, I would say some look safe (inert) but some are questionable. I would try them in a tank with some 'sacrificial' fish before using them with fish I really cared about.

anewbie

As a (former) minerals exploration geologist, I would say some look safe (inert) but some are questionable. I would try them in a tank with some 'sacrificial' fish before using them with fish I really cared about.
How would you determine if they were detrimental to the fish long term ? I mean if they leached would the effect be immediate or could it take months to have a noticeable ill effect on the fish ?

fyrefish

I didn't end up using any of the rocks I found. I went to my lfs and found pretty big bag of nice looking river rocks for 10 bucks. Heres a pic of the tank so far, still needs plants and more hiding places.
image_2022-01-31_075656.png

I also made a custom spray bar using some pvc, it works pretty well. However, the tank is not running atm because the canister filter has a small leak, I'm getting some lubricant for the head o ring today.
image_2022-01-31_075926.png

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sortof_here

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….