• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Do GBR's take a break?

ponderingky

Hi all,

I am new to the forum and fairly new to dwarf cichlids. I have been breeding angelfish for 4 years now and I am branching out into new territory. I have 2 pairs of german blue rams in 20's w/sand bottom, low cover and other spawning sites. I have had them for several months and in the past they have laid like clock work - about every 10 days or so. Well, they haven't spawned (either pair) for 6 to 8 weeks. Both females have bulging red bellies and they have been like that for a while. I keep waiting for them to lay but they don't. Do they take a break from spawning? The only thing that has changed is I haven't been able to feed them white worms very often (my culture almost crashed and I have to wait for it to reestablish). I feed them blood worms and flake right now. I have added a couple of alder cones per tank hoping that the tannins might put them in the mood. They are healthy, active fish - just no romance. I have only been able to raise one spawn so far and I am anxious to give it another try.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be much appreciated? I am clueless here.

Thanks,

Andy Dixon
Living Water Hatchery
Ashland, KY

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I think most fish bred continuously will take a short break at some time. In the wild Rams are seasonal breeder in the respect that water changes (increased rains) stimulates breeding. Staeck reports that at certain times only juveniles of similar size are collected. These aren't all from a single spawn but offspring from colonies of spawning pairs.

ponderingky

Just wanted to post an update. The GBR's on strike have still not laid - over 2 months. Last night I moved them to a 75 w/about 40 small GBR's in it. It has perked them right up - I actually saw the male making a sand pit and the female is all over him. They haven't laid but this is the first time in a long time that they are acting even interested. I had some EBR's in the 75 and they haven't acted like they were interested in spawning at all. I put them in the 20 that the GBR's were in and now they are digging pits and sparring w/each other. I guess they all just needed a change of scenery - we'll see!!

Later,

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….