• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dither fish

Andreas

Hi I am new to keeping apistogramma
I have a 15 gallon tank and I wanted to keep a pair of borellii but can’t seem to find them anywhere
but there are cacotoides pair so would it be possible to keep them permanently to breed with 7 dwarf pencilfish as dither fish

rasmusW

5 Year Member
hi! welcome onboard...
i'm not sure but i think 15 gallon might be a little small for cac's. -but dwarf pencils as dithers is just fine.

-r

Andreas

This is my tank and the fish in there are temporary would that work and a can I add a few otos

Attachments

• 04C1CEB2-D910-4D26-9ED7-E89187535475.jpeg
    04C1CEB2-D910-4D26-9ED7-E89187535475.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 284
  • 79525954-C25E-423B-8DCD-182AA8E281A5.jpeg
    79525954-C25E-423B-8DCD-182AA8E281A5.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 273

rasmusW

5 Year Member
Personally i would add some more rock, wood or plants to break the line of sight. Especially in the lower bottom half of the tank. Just to help, both of them to get in safety.
A few floating plants would also help make them feel safe. Plus the pencils like to forage among floaters too.

-r

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Nice tank. If you want to breed them dont get otos. If you dont want to breed them get the otos. :)
Otocinclus are fry safe. I've had hundreds of Apistogramma raised in the tanks with Otocinclus.

Other than obviously predatory fish, the fish I've had issues with are the two dwarf Corydoras species, C. pygmaeus and C. hastatus, they live entirely happily with Apistogramma and appear a good dither. I think it is a size issue and the issue is that they eat similarly sized food items to the cichlid fry, and get in among the moss and leaf litter. This means there aren't the rotifers etc. that would normally be supplementary food for the fry.

cheers Darrel

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
This means there aren't the rotifers etc. that would normally be supplementary food for the fry.
I hadn't thought of that, and it makes sense. I'd always thought it was because, although pygmy corys can occupy multiple levels of the tank, they tend to rest and forage at the bottom, where they aren't welcome during breeding time. They're not a predator to the fry, but they aren't smart enough to stop swimming directly into conflict.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I hadn't thought of that, and it makes sense. I'd always thought it was because, although pygmy corys can occupy multiple levels of the tank, they tend to rest and forage at the bottom, where they aren't welcome during breeding time. They're not a predator to the fry, but they aren't smart enough to stop swimming directly into conflict.
I keep very weedy tanks, and I've not had any problems with aggression from the cichlids. I've had a trickle of fry from both catfish in those tanks, but very few cichlid fry.

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
I've been keeping Amano shrimps with cf. resticulosa and the shrimp seem to survive fine. I wonder if they also affect the availability of infusoria, but it probably depends on the tank.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I've been keeping Amano shrimps with cf. resticulosa and the shrimp seem to survive fine. I wonder if they also affect the availability of infusoria, but it probably depends on the tank.
People have bred Red Cherry Shrimps and Dwarf Corydoras in the same tank without any problem (I'm going to say <"it was @Apistomaster?">).

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….