• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Dither fish for A borelli

Don cheech

question do you think leopard danios would be good dither fish for A borelli if not any recommendations this will be a 29 gallon
Thanks

christian62

Il vaut mieux mettre du tétra avec des Apisto pour deux raisons. La première la qualité de l'eau n'est pas la même pour une bonne maintenance des Borelli. Et la deuxième la provenance des deux espèces ne sont pas du tout la même.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
leopard danios would be good dither fish for A borelli
No. Too active and fast <"for a dither">.
any recommendations this will be a 29 gallon
<"Black-Neon Tetra"> (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)? The might be a bit big? <"Ember Tetra"> (H. amandae)?

They both should be reasonably easily obtainable. You might be able to find <"Hyphessobrycon elachys"> or similar and they should do as well. I also like Hemigrammus rodwayi, @Mike Wise may have tried <"them as a dither">?

I'm a "tabby" (and silver) fish fan, but <"others prefer more colour">.

cheers Darrel

Don cheech

Hi all,

No. Too active and fast <"for a dither">.

<"Black-Neon Tetra"> (Hyphessobrycon herbertaxelrodi)? The might be a bit big? <"Ember Tetra"> (H. amandae)?

They both should be reasonably easily obtainable. You might be able to find <"Hyphessobrycon elachys"> or similar and they should do as well. I also like Hemigrammus rodwayi, @Mike Wise may have tried <"them as a dither">?

I'm a "tabby" (and silver) fish fan, but <"others prefer more colour">.

cheers Darrel
Thanks

christian62

Il vaut mieux mettre tetra avec Apisto pour deux raisons. La première qualité de l'eau n'est pas la même pour un bon entretien du Borelli. Et la seconde, l'origine des deux espèces n'est pas du tout la même.

Don cheech

II was wondering do you even need dither fish if you are not looking to breed if not how about going with some tank mates

anewbie

If you want to breed, it’s better NOT to have dither fish.
Naively I thought for harem breeders there was some advantage of dither fish as it keeps the male entertained while the female is doing her thing. Of course if ones sole purpose is breeding; removing the male is probably the better option (if you can catch him ;) )

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….