• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Diagnosis Please

leafish

I have no idea. It seems that a diagnosis is nice to have but treatment for diseases is almost always the same. Increase water changes and ensure that the fish are getting a healthy variety of food. I'm pretty sure that one of my rams has Hole in the Head Disease which, like your fish, is a noticeable deterioration of their skin. The treatment is what I just described along with removing the carbon from your filter.

Medicine usually has more negative effects than positive ones.

I'm not that knowledgeable, so sorry, but I hope this is helpful.

hedylogus

5 Year Member
i can't really say much either based on the pic, but if you have a spare hospital tank you could try a low-dose antibiotic (ie, tetracycline) or general purpose bacterial infection medication (ie, melafix).

merlin

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice. I did hospitalise the fish and treat with a bacterial remedy but to no avail. Died today.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

leafish

Ugh, that's crushing. Was it only one fish that got the disease? How many are left of the fry?

DanielG

It was one of a group of 6 Veilfleck but I think they are male heavy. So I have to make sure i dont lose any more.
Well...it would seem my 3.5" male Agassizi has come down with Hole-in-Head disease. He doesn't seem to be acting any different and his behavior is unchanged as well. Today I did start varying up his diet...i'll keep you posted with what happens...Tomorrow I will upload a pic if I can get one close enough to see the detail. It looks like it is only 2-3 small holes though. Fingers crossed.

I did just start dosing 10ppm KNO3 and 2ppm KH2PO4...does anyone seem to think this can have something to do with it? I know apisto's are pretty picky with having 'clean' water conditions.

I started the KNO3 and KH2PO4 in an attempt to bring some red out in plants, but I can just as easily stop dosing if it means my apisto's are going to go Walking Dead on me.

gerald

5 Year Member
Fish food is the only "fert" i use, but I have also wondered about the effects of using ferts with soft-water endemic fishes, especially S.Amer and W.African dwarf cichlids, licorice and chocolate gouramis, and blackwater Betta species. Whether it's harmful to the fishes' health probably depends on how fast the plants use it up vs how much remains in the water. I guess it's like feeding fish, if you can "feed" the plants only as much as they can "eat" in a short time, then you're not leaving excess ferts to degrade water quality. Hopefully others will chime in with good info.

3.5 inches is a BIG aggie; I assume he's 2+ yrs old. Beyond about 3 yrs they do seem to get more susceptible to slow-growing bacterial infections, including Mycobacterium. That's a common cause of death in old fish that are well cared for and haven't died from something else.

Well...it would seem my 3.5" male Agassizi has come down with Hole-in-Head disease. He doesn't seem to be acting any different and his behavior is unchanged as well. Today I did start varying up his diet...i'll keep you posted with what happens...Tomorrow I will upload a pic if I can get one close enough to see the detail. It looks like it is only 2-3 small holes though. Fingers crossed.

I did just start dosing 10ppm KNO3 and 2ppm KH2PO4...does anyone seem to think this can have something to do with it? I know apisto's are pretty picky with having 'clean' water conditions. I started the KNO3 and KH2PO4 in an attempt to bring some red out in plants, but I can just as easily stop dosing if it means my apisto's are going to go Walking Dead on me.

DanielG

Fish food is the only "fert" i use, but I have also wondered about the effects of using ferts with soft-water endemic fishes, especially S.Amer and W.African dwarf cichlids, licorice and chocolate gouramis, and blackwater Betta species. Whether it's harmful to the fishes' health probably depends on how fast the plants use it up vs how much remains in the water. I guess it's like feeding fish, if you can "feed" the plants only as much as they can "eat" in a short time, then you're not leaving excess ferts to degrade water quality. Hopefully others will chime in with good info.

3.5 inches is a BIG aggie; I assume he's 2+ yrs old. Beyond about 3 yrs they do seem to get more susceptible to slow-growing bacterial infections, including Mycobacterium. That's a common cause of death in old fish that are well cared for and haven't died from something else.

Well, i finally got a video made...the bigger male, as you will see, is the one with Hole-in-Head disease. Hopefully after the upload is finished being 'reviewed', it will then be available in 1080p.

gerald

5 Year Member
Yes it looks like some kind of infection in the nostrils and cephalic pores. Could be bacterial (most likely), protozoa, or something else - cant tell much from a video. I hope it clears up.

DanielG

Yes it looks like some kind of infection in the nostrils and cephalic pores. Could be bacterial (most likely), protozoa, or something else - cant tell much from a video. I hope it clears up.

Unfortunately, the male Apisto I have the video above has succumbed to his illness. I isolated him into his own 5 gallon tank and was able to put him through two rounds of anti bacterial treatments, to no avail :(

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AND

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….