• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Curious

Norman Fenske

I had no intention of this happening but anyway! I had one extra male golden cacatouide so I put him in a separate tank and I ended up putting a female double red cacatouide in the same tank. The reason for the female I did not want the fry to get eaten plus the male died. So long story short was feeding my fish yesterday and noticed lots of fry. My guess a golden cacatouides is not a true strain much like all the different L. Malawi peacock cihlids if this is the case these fry might not be but so far off??

Yvonne G

Administrator
5 Year Member
I don't quite understand. . . you moved the female because HER male died, or are you saying the golden male died? And you moved the female because you didn't want the fry to be eaten. . . what fry?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Whether or not your golden cacatuoides is a "true strain" (inbred color morph) doesn't really matter. Both the male and female are both the same species - A. cacatuoides. They couldn't care less about color.

Norman Fenske

Lets try again. I have an extra m golden cacatouide I put him in a separate tank hoping to get another female from the lfs. While I was waiting I also have a pr of double reds with fry as the fry got bigger the m double red died. Did not want to take the chance that the f double red would eat the fry so I moved the f to the tank with the m golden cacatouide. I never thought they would end up with fry until yesterday I looked in the tank and there were lots of fry. So what will a cross between a m golden and a f double red look like??
Whether or not your golden cacatuoides is a "true strain" (inbred color morph) doesn't really matter. Both the male and female are both the same species - A. cacatuoides. They couldn't care less about color.
That makes sense but dumb question time provided they reach a size big enough to sell what do I call them or do I just go with whatever morph they look closer to? For what its worth I had no intention of mixing these two was hoping that this would not happen. In the future if I have a female or male that is single is it okay to put different species in the same tank example f aggie and m cacatouide?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….