• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

crenicichla regani

element

5 Year Member
wow the male can hardly be considered dwarf anymore he's 6" long!
qrwwpj

Here is the female she is 4"
qrwx88

and here is the happy couple
qrwygg

they spawn regularly but i never get any fry. Guess we'll keep tyring!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Mine have spawned once... no fry. Wish I could get mine to spawn regularly. What are your water conditions?

element

5 Year Member
water perams

I keep them in baltimore municipal water. ph around 7 kg 3.5 deg. amm:0 nitrite:0 nitrate around 5ppm they are in a densely planted 55 gal with guppys and lateacara curviceps. they spawn every 3 weeks or so, both guard the eggs (with no harm to anyone) and after about a week i look in the clay pot and the eggs are gone, no fry. I think it may be due to the hardness i read somewhere and i'm not even sure if this is accurate that in such water thier eggs will harden and not develop. i'm unable to test that as i have no ro unit. though i do plan on getting one in the near future.

element

5 Year Member
i just checked out you site and wanted to let you know my fish are from jeff as well. as you can see in my photos though my female hasn't developed addtional dorsal ocelli . other than that they are identicle and i too love it when they "turn on" thier stripes.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I keep the water parameters close to yours. I would not consider your water hard by any scale. I suspect that the answer may be pH. I have read a few accounts of the pH being below 5 for this species. A pH that low would have a very low bacterial load, which may benefit eggs and larvae. If I could get them to spawn regularly then I could play with the chemistry a bit.

element

5 Year Member
disappointment strikes again.

element said:
Well she's gaurding eggs again! hopefully i'll get some fry this time!

so i lifted the clay pot that she was guarding and much to my dismay found a clump of fungused eggs. :mad: :mad:

element

5 Year Member
thanks z-man I've read your article many times , infact it influenced me to give regani a try.

blueblue

5 Year Member
oh!! what a beauty!!...

it's a fish that i am interested in and will hunt for, hehehe ^.^
Hope to acquire some in the future. :)

aspen

5 Year Member
you keep those with guppies? boy they sure aren't anything like compressiceps in temperment. you should see what a compressiceps can do to a guppy.

they are on my list too.

rick

element

5 Year Member
aspen said:
you keep those with guppies? boy they sure aren't anything like compressiceps in temperment. you should see what a compressiceps can do to a guppy.

they are on my list too.

rick

Oh yea these guys are puppy dogs compared to compressiceps , i've seen comps. terrorize much larger acaras into hiding! The regani don't even shred a fin . they do love eating guppy fry , which is coincidently why the guppies live with them.

the regani even get along well with the lateacara. even when spawning.

good luck finding them it took me a few months, check w/ jeff rapps i know he sometimes has them(I got mine from him) . If i ever get fry instead of fungus i'll certainly post it here.

Z Man

5 Year Member
element, if you are having problems with the eggs, try getting the water very soft. I found that the first pair I had needed very soft water because I knew the guy who collected them so I know they were wild. When the fry grew and spawned for me they didn't need the harder water. If you have wild ones, they probably need the soft water.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….