• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Constant Temps?

tjd

5 Year Member
Romer advises against keeping certain species such a A. gephyra and A. macmasteri at constant temperatures less they become more suseptible to diseases. I am curious what is considered constant and more importantly what would be advised for such fish in terms of temperature variation range and period.

Is a few hours of cooler conditions after a water exchange considered sufficent variation or would changing the heater by a couple degrees F. every month (week?) be appropriate?

Tom

apistoireland

5 Year Member
Best way to avoid a constant temperature is to lower the water temperature during the night. 1-2 degrees celcius will do fine. Cheapest way to do this is to use two themostats on seperate timers.

lab

5 Year Member
In smaller tanks the temperature will automatically vary 1-2 degrees between day and night since the lamp provides heat for the water also.
This is the case with a "closed" lamp.

Best regards,
Lars

tjd

5 Year Member
Am I correct in understanding that Romer's advice for these species (A. gephyra and A. macmasteri) pertains to the daily fluctuations rather than seasonal fluctuations the fish would experience in the wild?

Tom

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….