• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Compatibility Question....

bumblebee odyssey

5 Year Member
hey guys just woundering.... will the following fish be ok in the one tank?
multifasciatus x3
buescheri x1

Deepwater Hap (Placidochromis electra) x2
cherry barb x3
long fin cory x2
julli x2
kuhli loach x1

will anyone be eaten or picked on?

i have read they will all be alright but i'd like experienced advice please

thanx kelly

E

emjay653

You want to put ALL those fish in the one tank?

Straight away the Neos need hard alkaline water and Cockatoo (If by that you mean Apisto. Cacatuoides) need soft acid water, so something would die.

bumblebee odyssey

5 Year Member

i have a 3ft by 2ft by 2ft tank... and have a 2ft by 18inch by 18inch on the way so i can split them up.... but will the shell dwellers be ok with the electras if the electras dont breed? i have read they are gret tank mates for eachother... but i'm not so sure?

i have also read that all those fish like nuteral water (its ok for all) so in theory they would be fine? again i am a little sceptical... atm i have all but the neo's and the electra's in my 3ft tank

they are not aggressive very quiet and keep to their own (the ones i have atm)

thanx kel... your advice is muchly appreciated :)

E

emjay653

I am only in the research stages of setting up an African tank myself, so can't really give definite answers on whether the shellies will be ok with the electras.

Out of curiosity, what are the tank parameters of your existing tank (pH, GH, KH)?

Someone will be along that can answer your questions much better than me later on.

Mj

Neil

bumblebee odyssey,

Although I have never had several of the "hard-water" fish that you mention and never tried putting the ones that I have with "soft-water" fish, I suspect that it can be done. But you wouls need a much larger tank IMO. Splitting them up into the 2 tanks might not even remedy all of the things there are to consider here.

For one:

but will the shell dwellers be ok with the electras if the electras dont breed?

If your conditions are appropriate and you have males and females, this may be difficult.

i have also read that all those fish like nuteral water (its ok for all) so in theory they would be fine?

Neither of the types of fish that you are talking about really like neutral water. They are probably adaptable and accept neutral conditions, but both would prefer conditions a little closer to where they come from. I have had cacs live for quite some time and even breed in conditions more akin to Tanganyika and have also had J. marleri "Gombi" live in a breeding colony for several years in a slighly soft-water planted tank. However, both these fish were exceptions to the rule.

will anyone be eaten or picked on?

I doubt eaten, but suspect that "picked on" might become a way of life for some. Again though, I can't be sure, because I haven't tried it.

Hopefully some with more knowledge of the rift fish will chime in with their opinions. I am interested too. I would bet that there will be a consensus that there are too many fish in too small of a tank though, regardless of their compatability.

Neil

bumblebee odyssey

5 Year Member

i have stabalised my have to nuteral atm...

i just dont understand why these fish wont work (from the info i have read anyway)... if all the tank mates like nuteral water why is it a problem?... also why is it shown that electras are fine with shell dwellers?...big size difference i think...

this is why i'm asking the theroy kinda doesnt work IMO....

thanx heaps from kel

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(