• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Compatibility Question

Rikadyn

5 Year Member
i was thinking of putting 3 trios in my 30g long tank, would A. Agassiz, A. Cacatuoides and A. Trifasciata be compatible with each other?

Rikadyn

5 Year Member
fwiw, the tank is gonna be a black-water type tank, lots of wood, leaf litter and the such.

farm41

5 Year Member
Sounds pretty crowded, all three will be competing for the same territory, it would be better to have just a pair, or a trio.

Rikadyn

5 Year Member
well after reading some stuff, decided not to include A. cacatuoides in this tank (maybe get them a nice little 10-15g for themselves) but i'd still like to have agassizii and trifasciata...

skwelch

5 Year Member
its not gonna work with all three species in there
probly wont work for very long with two species either
i know they are tiny but they take up a lot of space in territory, and as soon as one specoes tries to spawn, the others are in for a bad time
stick to a group )1m, 2/3/4/ f) of the same species in one tank, and they will be much happier

btw, im from england, whats a 30g long tank measure?
we normally measure tanks in litres over here, or length in feet and inches, just wanna know what a 30g long is for future reference, is it about 3 foot long?

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi skwelch,

Yes, the 30 gallon long is 3 feet long x 1 foot wide and 16 inches tall. It's my favorite tank size for apistos. It'll comfortably hold 1m & 3f of most apisto species and a trio (1m2f) of the more aggressive types. I think their behavior is more interesting this way, rather than craming a pair into a little 10 gallon. Also it's fairly roomy for the fish, yet I'm still able to move one around by myself when I have to. Compared to a 55 gallon tank which I wouldn't trust myself moving very far without help.

Michael

skwelch

5 Year Member
thanks micheal

well im sure your fish appreciate the extra space, i have pairs in much smaller tanks than that, when im rich and have a huge house they'll all have palace size tanks to live in hehehe

so far my littluns seem to get on ok in 2 foot tanks

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….