• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Color diminishing?

Peals

Substrate

The substrate you are using could be a problem. Sorry I sounded demanding last post, of course it was not in any way intended to make you upset. The substrate materials you are using for appistos my be a problem. First the rocks and sand you are using may not be inert. If you can ,use only silicate sand for apistos. There are two reasons for this , one is hardness, the other is that they drag fins over gravel and it wears them down. I have a thin layer of dark sand in most tanks, with a layer of oak leaf above that. Also pure peat/oak leaf dried after boiling will give you a stable Ph, and lowered TDS over time. Potting soil is not something I would use in any tank, as the possible negative variables are infinite.
The main thing with apistos is to change water frequently, they are very sensitive to nitrate and nitrite levels, rams are the same way. In their natural environment they live in water that is almost devoid of these substances, and they often live at much higher temps than most aqaurium fish. I have collected rams in their native habitat at water temps as high as 87 degrees. I keep my tanks in the lower 80s, and keep rams above 84 at all times. Changing water frequently is the most economical way to keep nitrates and nitrites at a minimum. As far as expenses go, I found that rather than buying substances to artificially stabilize/treat the water, I spent the money for an RO filter and now I never have to buy anything off of the shelf to add to my water for any of my tanks, and it allows me to frequently change large amounts of water for pennies. So that is one reason I recommended it to you. My Ro system has saved me more money than any other single piece of equipment. A friend who manages a large public aquarium told me that the one real trick to seeing fish in their most magnificant colors and to observe natural behavior is that you must do water chages frequently, mechanical/biological filtration is not a substitute for clean water. Most fish live in water that is constantly refreshed and exchanged. The final product of an RO system is devoid of all harmful chemicals, salts and phosphates.......I drink it to!!!!!!:) No more bottled water
Finally what I tried to express about apistos last time was that they can in the right conditions provide a hobbyist with more real enjoyment than any other fish, because of their interesting interactions, reproduction and coloration. I know this "hobby" is expensive and sometimes much of this comes from gimmicks and "additives". If you start with the right water it all comes easy.

I don't why but I told you the substrate that is in the planted tank. The soil is normal potting mix. This is something read about doing on APC form. The parameters are the same in their holding tank. In the holding tank just have the river rocks and river sand.

The gh and kh are both 2 with ph of 7.4 now.

Hilde

5 Year Member
The substrate you are using could be a problem. If you can ,use only silicate sand for apistos. There are two reasons for this , one is hardness, the other is that they drag fins over gravel and it wears them down. I spent the money for an RO filter and now I never have to buy anything off of the shelf to add to my water for any of my tanks, and it allows me to frequently change large amounts of water for pennies. So that is one reason I recommended it to you. My Ro system has saved me more money than any other single piece of equipment. The final product of an RO system is devoid of all harmful chemicals, salts and phosphates.......I drink it to!!!!!!:) No more bottled water.
By silicate sand do you mean pool filter sand? I read that it has glass in it. The cory's love the river sand so I thought it would be okay for the apistos. I will research more before I start redoing the 29 gallon tank.

Now I understand why to the Ro saves in the long run. At times I buy things, laterite, that will save me money in the long run.

Hilde

5 Year Member
Okay the plan for the substrate for the 29 gallon is:
(top to bottom)
Pool filter sand
Calcium sulfate
Old substrate (without sand)
Laterite

Thanks Peals

Peals

Sorry don't have much time today, but glass is made from silicate. By silicate sand I mean any sand that is inert, meaning it will not contribute minerals to the water ie dissolved salts. You can test rocks and sand for this by using muratic acid which is used for pools. If the sand or rocks are not inert they will fizz or bubble when you add the acid. Most sand blasting sand will state on the sack what type of sand is used. River sand may be perfect but you need to test it first. Also you can use vinegar for the test but the reaction will not be as noticable.

By silicate sand do you mean pool filter sand? I read that it has glass in it. The cory's love the river sand so I thought it would be okay for the apistos. I will research more before I start redoing the 29 gallon tank.

Now I understand why to the Ro saves in the long run. At times I buy things, laterite, that will save me money in the long run.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….