• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Collecting splash tetras in the amazon jungle

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Here i will write about collecting splash tetras in the jungle earlier this morning.Sorry my writing isnt good right now so please bear with me!

Our car sped down the high way past the kilometro 5 marker and continued untile we came to a sign that advertised a stable and equestrian show jumping training.
We went in where the sign pointed and continued on for a mile or two on dirt, uneven roads until we reached it. Palm tress on either side of the road told us we were arriving.
There were feilds sprawled on both sides of the road where they grew capiim a type of grass that horses are especially fond of. We parked the car and my sister headed to where the horses get sattled and where she was to mount.
I got the nets, camera, shoes, bags and other equipment out of the trunk.
After getting directions I started walking in the direction he had told me to.
Soon i came to the entrance of the trail and after getting through some shrub we got to an opening. I walked along until we found a trail that led through the woods.
The trail was made for horses and their riders to come through for some variety and it was kept in good shape.
After running as long as possible, again we reached an opening.
this time we went along the outskirts looking for a stream going in to the jungle or a pond somewhere. I found neither. As i walked along i spotted a little pool at the edge of the clearing. Tiny trickles of water was running into it. It was about 4 feet wide and 10 feet long. lots of bushes lined the sides and the few unidentified fish that I saw swam between their branches and it proved impossible to get anything. i decided to continue looking for the lake he had told us about. I continued looking in vain but wouldnt give up yet. Then i spotted it, morichal palm trees in the distance that meant... WATER and where there is water there is FISH... and where there is fish there is FISHING opportunities!!! I ran to the place and after battling with the dense shrub i came to the trees, and water.
It wasnt like most people would think of a natural fish habitat, but time was running out and i couldnt keep on looking.
There was water but most of the water was less than an inch deep, the deepest, around four inches. there was lots of palm trees and other waterloving plant. Wolf and a few water spiders ran across the surface and even some waterstriders.
At first i didnt see any fish but i soon saw some tiny copella.
As i went deeper and deeper into the jungle i saw an adult, nearly four inches long to the tip of its red and metallic blue colored tail.
Unfortunately, i could not catch it.
I caught a tiny gold tetra, the only type of fish i saw other then the splash tetras.
I went deeper into the jungle and it got a little deeper but still not over 4 inches. Fish got more abundant and i saw a large amount of splash tetras of all sizesi scooped with my small aquarium net and got close to 5 specimens, most about 1 1/2 inches long.as i was walking back to put them in my trusty Ziploc bags i thought i would take one more scoop and i caught an adult female! It was three inches long and had a dark stripe on its side, (from nose to caudal peduncle) dotted with red spots SCORE.
Then it was time to go. i kept three fish, the adult female, and two smaller males.
They both made it back home but when i was taking them out of the bag the female jumped down the sink. i was able to finally extract her from the tube but the added stress may be too much for her.

So thats it, i will have pics later.
Hudson

Hudson Ensz

5 Year Member
Pics

CpiadeP4120410.jpg

Pictures of habitat coming soon
I edited the artcle should i post it again?
CpiadeP4140411.jpg

In tank picture

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would need better photos, but I don't think that it is a Copella species; more likely a Pyrrhulina species. The only true splash tetra is Copella arnoldi. As far as I know, all other Copella species breed below the water surface.

Julio Melgar

5 Year Member
I agree with Mike. It is definitely a Pyrrhulina sp but will need better pics to narrow it down as to which species it might be. Thanks for sharing your collecting experiences and photos.

Chromedome

5 Year Member
Commercially all the Pyrrhulinins are usually labelled as "Splash Tetras", but the one that originally had that common name, and the only one that we know actually splashes is Copella arnoldi. I haven't seen any of those in a very long time, lost my second generation in a move about 20 years ago.

I concur that the fish in the photos are a Pyrrhulina species of the brevis group, but the species will likely remain a mystery as there are several similar, some undescribed. Marilyn Weitzman has been working on these for decades, but there are always new ones showing up. They really aren't that difficult to spawn, most species are substrate spawners, while a few are simple egg scatterers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….