• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cockatoos..well...

S

Sunris

had them for 5 days already...and looks like my female Cockatoo is ready to pop! 8O

The bad news is my two Pandurini's are being pushed around alot now. :( They're hiding near the top and off to the sides...of course the female Cockatoo looks like she chose the MIDDLE of my tank, in some of the plants, to spawn...doh!

At least thats what i'm guessing...she's gotten pretty fat and the male is keeping everyone else away from her. :?

I don't have another tank or room for another for my Pands. Should I see how they fare or should I just take them back to where I got them from? It's a pity too...I really like the Pands. :(

If I picked up 4-6 danios, they're quick fish, do you think they would maybe keep the male distracted?

-Fred

Randall

5 Year Member
Spawning Apistogramma cacatuoides

Dear Fred,

Well it sounds like you've got some activity going on!

It might not be a good idea to introduce any fast swimming danios into your spawning tank. They have a way of praying on fry. Some pencil fish or small tetras may prove a better option, depending on the size of your tank.

As for the A. pandurini, can you set up another tank for them? It would be a pity to have to part with such a beautiful fish, but in light of what's going on, they should probably be removed.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

S

Sunris

I have a 29 Gallon tank. I think i'll try adding some tetras or pencilfish and seeing if that helps some. :| I really do like my Pands alot too...unfortunately the only other tank I could set up would be a 5-10 gallon...but I was gonna use that for the fry.

Could I get a partition for the tank and maybe block it off so each pair has a side? Do Cockatoos rapidly breed though? Would my Pands always be picked on?

Ugh! Any advice/input is welcome.

-Fred

A

ardenen

Depending on water conditions - they breed like rabbits!

I have a pair of Cockatoos and before their first batch was done they had moved on to batch number two. I've been told that you should keep both pairs in the tank with the fry as long as possible but I had to finally remove the male from the tank or risk the tank beeing overrun.

So to answer the question - yes, Cockatoo Cichlids breed rapidly! :D

Neil

Sunris,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

Panduros are typically a more aggressive animal than cacatuoides, but breeding is the wild card. If your pair of Panduros decides to breed, you will really have problems. Ditherfish will only go so far. Another Cichlid species will be seen as a much larger threat.
Panduros are such a nice fish and rare enough that you may be sorry to let them go. Partitioning your tank may work, but is difficult to do and allows fry to move across the barrier. If it is a solid partition, then you will need another filter and twice the water changes. It would then be just the same as having 2 tanks. Why not get another tank? A 10 or 15g would be adequate for housing your panduro pair and possibly have the same joy that the cacatuoides spawning should bring to you soon, without the concern for the other species.
Good luck with this tough choice.
Neil

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….