• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cockatoo dwarf cichlid

Y

YVONNE

hi i was wondering if it would be possible to put some apistogramma cacatuoides in with a pair of rainbow cichlids or will they be killed? i have a 3 foot tank with heaps of driftwood, rocks and plants (plenty of hiding places)
any thoughts on this matter is greatly appreciated....:confused:

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you are talking about Herotilapia multispinossa, I had problems. I used a big male Rainbow as snail control. Rainbows love eating snails. I put him in a tank from which I thought that I had cleared out all of the A. cacatuoies. I missed a female A. cacatuoides who was brooding eggs. Once the fry became freeswimming the female viciously attacked the Rainbow so much that his fins were shredded and he was hiding in an upper corner of the tank before I removed him.

Just remember that this was a lone Rainbow. A mated pair will probably destroy any smaller bottom fish once they start breeding.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nanotankfun

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(