• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cichlid Stones

Ashenwelt

Hey all,

I know Cichlid Stones are made for African cichlids... But do any of you use them? Recommend for or against? Any chance a moss or fern would attach to one?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-N930T using Tapatalk

dw1305

5 Year Member

dw1305

5 Year Member

Ashenwelt

My main concern is cover... had some rams go homicidal and lost all of them. And I think it was mainly over no place to hide. Doing some rescaping to add hiding.

How tall should the hole be?

As for fry surviving... honestly not my top goal but sometimes you can be supprised.

Rob aka Ashenwelt - Back in the aquaria hobby. Always searching...

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
For breeding purposes, the cave entrance needs only to be wide and tall enough for the female to enter - lying on her side. Personally caves aren't the ideal hiding places, especially if other fish can enter. It is better to break up the tank into various territories with boundaries that don't allow long lines of sight. Cichlids that can't establish their own territory and are continually harassed commonly end up at the surface of the tank. I often put a piece of floating pipe in the tank in which fish can hide.

Ashenwelt

So I have a very weird question... would apistogramma use escargot shells or other shells as caves? I know they are not shell dwellers but the darn things are very close in size to the females... about 1.5" in each direction.

Rob aka Ashenwelt - Back in the aquaria hobby. Always searching...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RodsAquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….