• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cichlid pair in 29 gallon

emoore3

5 Year Member
Hello,

I am currently setting up a 29 gallon planted tank. I have very soft water kH and GH around 1 deg (will test pH later). I am looking for a peaceful cichlid that I could add to my tank. It will be heavily planted with a school of "dither fish". I also would like a cichlid that lives more than a few years. I have rams and apistos already (in another tank). Any suggestions? Thanks.

BIG_CICHLID

5 Year Member
Well, You could go as large as some of the Archocentrus species (avoid nigrofasciatum if you want peace) or even Herotilapia multispinosa on down to some of the dwarfs. But as you keep apistos and rams already, I'm sure you know all about them! Perhaps some West African dwarfs or even Kribensis. Depends on how extravagant you want to be I guess.

BC

Apistt_ed

Hello emoore3,

with the right conditions and a good balanced diet most apistos will tend to live 3 years and up. I have had A. bitaeniata, agassizzi, sp. morado, trifasciata (3years old), steindachneri, L. curviceps and dorsigera live past 4-5 years of age.
if its just non-apisto cichlids that you wanted that was peacefull I'd suggest the keyhole cichlid (Cleithracara maronii), blue-eyed cichlid (archocentrus spirilum), Honduran red point (Cryptoheros sp. 'Honduran redpoint), firemouth cichlid (Thorichthys meeki). Of course if you'd like more apistos that were peacefull, I shouldn't forget a.borellii, A. sp. masken, A. eunotus. that would be my suggestions. cheers. john

emoore3

5 Year Member
Thanks for the suggestions. Ok here are my choices.

1) Pair of Keyhole Cichlids (Cleithracara maronii) and Serpae Tetras as dithers

OR

2) Pair of peaceful apistogrammas and a pair of Microgeophagus ramirezi with the Serpae Tetras as dithers. Would this work since the apistos are cave spawning and the rams are open spawners?

The tank dimensions are 30" x 12"

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….