• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Can Anyone id My Apistogramma Please

dpien

5 Year Member
Hi Mike, following an extensive thread, including pics, on the BCA forum (and on here!), it's possible that we may have all 3 Datz documented A. sp. "Xingu" strains (A37, A37a and A38) from one imported batch, in the UK.
Considering what's known about their natural distribution, are these populations currently able to interbreed in nature?
Your help and advice is much appreciated as always.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
These are all just populations/color morphs of 1 species - A. sp. Xingu. I'm pretty sure that collecting stations in Altamira and Belem do not keep different collections isolated. Therefore, it is very possible that we get mixed shipments. About the only way to be sure you get a pure population/color morph is to go collect the fish yourself. Sadly, this is not possible in Brazil for non-Brazilians.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, actually this is common with most apistos and other cichlids. They will show different patterns depending on their emotional state. Fat's photo shows the fish in fright pattern (good for species ID) while your photos show the fish in dominance display.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….