• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Camallanus.

beleg

5 Year Member
Yup i do similar, i also supply air via a small air stone in the2l. cup. filled half to avoid jumping..

Female has pooped white stuff as of morning. I have been feeding her white worms so this is normal i believe. I'll check the water after 12 hrs has passed..

beleg

5 Year Member
24 hrs later the female looks quite beaten. There is still the same red worm hanging from anus. So i assume its not dead.. I will give her a few days and feed with white worms. and then try again..

beleg

5 Year Member
Hi Andrew .

Unfortunately no.. I don't really know if there are other internal parasites as well.. And i don't have the tools for checking if there are more..

I think both fish are rid of camallanus now. The males apetite is ok but the female eats only 2 white worms and then stops. I feed her 2 times a day.. But her anus is not swollen anymore.It looks normal.

I should re treat the tank after 10 days right?

I still haven't changed the water. Tonight i will make a %60 water change with gravel cleaning and see if that helps.

fishgeek

i believe that within 2-3 days the in water medcation is no longer active

the gravel vacumning is in theory to reduce passed eggs , these again in theory generally arent directly infective to fish, some recent studies suggest that sometimes they can be, not sure if this was C. coti or if there are other's that have same red appearnace

repeat treatments are because encysted larval stages in tissue are not susceptible to treatments, just the gut stages so again theory suggests a second treatment though in practice (because the gut stages cause the problems) i dnt find a real improvement beyond the first treatment

if none of the fish ad issue's with the med a second treatment would be safest

sounds like they are slowly coming through it
fingers crossed that they fatten up and spawn for you

andrew

paul_fox

5 Year Member
I have had a case of camallanus worms recently, I would suggest treating it for a month at weekly intervals personally.
If your med doesnt work, try some flubenol 15, that will kill all the worms if used. Have a look on ebay or google it, not many shops sell it unfortunatly

beleg

5 Year Member
Thanks for the tip. I plan to renew the med. Within next week. Even if the fish look healthy i will do it.

The flubenol looks ok.. But it seems Levamisole does the job. I will contact the medicine factory to try to obtain pure form of it.

beleg

5 Year Member
An update,

I have made a %60 water change with gravel cleaning. The fish don't have the symptoms of camallanus now.

They both eat both live , frozen and freeze dried food like when they were healthy.

However the female is breathing more rapidly compared to her pre-disease state. Her gills seem more open as well. Can this be side effect of worms (loss of blood etc.) ? Or can it be some form of flukes?

Ideas?

beleg

5 Year Member
Another update.

The fish have spawned. This morning they were in the coconut cave, and now the female chases the male if he comes close to the nest. She protects it well.
Her stomach looks like she just laid eggs.

The males stomach is getting bigger, i haven't seen him poop. Since his reaction to Mg dip was bad i worry maybe he couldn't pass out all the worms. I have been feeding them only live worms and freeze dried artemia since medication.

Maybe i should separate him to a cup for some hours to see if he passes out anything. If he doesn't then i will risk another Mg dip.

fishgeek

i would suspect if he was constipated that he wouldn't eat well

if anaemia associated with worm infestation the gills should look pale,

flukes likely to also cause flashing or scratching type behaviour

beleg

5 Year Member
He poops ok.. :p

Fish don't scratch , but their breathing seems a little more faster. Perhaps its my imagination..

The female has closed the entrance of her cave by moving sand as in a thread in this forum. First time i see this behavior.

They both eat fine, but female doesn't accept more than 3 worms which is a little bit weird.

It is said white worms contain too much fat and shouldn't be given often , but i give it quite often these days to bring the fish back in condition. Is it ok?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….