• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

cacatuoides "Orange Flash" & black vental fins

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
Well, I know this question is brought up often, so sorry to bother again. Although, I think I know the answer (mostly); just want some extra feedback. Thanks in advance!

Question One:
What do you think? Is my less colorful fish male or female?

O.F.fish2a by faithfulgardener, on Flickr

I do have a few more photos I can post if it will help. I have one where fish #2 shows lots of blue; and another w/ more orange. I think he/she is a chameleon!

I guess I'm definately more suspicious given that the most dominant male regularly is displaying black along his ventral fins:

O.F.male1b by faithfulgardener, on Flickr

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
My guess is that it is a male. Dorsal and caudal fin extensions look long for an older female; more like those on an immature male. The blue color on the front edge of the ventral fins is more like that of a male, too. How old/large is this fish?

Mud Pie Mama

5 Year Member
I'm not really sure of the age of the fish. They were, however, sent to me as a pair.

The fish in question (fish#2) is aproximately 1.25 inches long. The more colorful, dominant male is just a tad larger, maybe 1.5 inches (excluding fin extentions.)

Here is a photo of fish#2 with more blue:

O.F.fish2 by faithfulgardener, on Flickr
Both this photo and the one in my first post were taken on October 21st, 2010.

Here is another photo of fish#2, taken around one week later, on October 29th:

O.F.fish2b by faithfulgardener, on Flickr

This really is the same fish, it is still showing quite a bit of black along the ventral fins! I removed the more dominant male fish just to see if this one would begin to look or behave differently.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….