• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides best breeding spot

KittyKat

5 Year Member
From experience, what has been your cockatoos best/favorite breeding spot? What was the most unusual? How big is the cave (if it is a cave)?

Mine will usually choose a medium apple snail shell over caves, nooks and crannies, even though a large variety of places are available.

RHS788

5 Year Member
I use two clay pot bases, about 3-4 inch. I drill a hole in the side of one, and place that one on top of the other to form a cave. No doubt that has been their preference. The eggs are first placed on the ceiling, and after a few days the female moves them to the floor of the cave, where they hatch. I turn the cave where I can momentarily shine a light inside to see how all is doing. I usually move mom and all to another aquarium, which the cave works well for doing. I pick it up and put it in a plastic container with the same tank water while transporting to the new aq. As the fry begin to develop, I open the lid of the cave and they start swimming around.

System seems to work, although I sold most of my cacas, that was their favorite spot (private, low light, hidden, etc.)

Good luck,

Randy

RiC

5 Year Member
My cacs change their spots all the time - either one cave or the other (coconut shells) or right in some hole in the driftwood :rolleyes:

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I use 4 inch clay flower pots with my Apistogramma spp including A. cacatuoides.
Here is a photo of the style of cave I use although in this case its Dicrossus filamentosus that's using it. Notice her eggs on the upper right.
P5230008.jpg

Another design that works well is to use two 4 inch clay pot drains. In this example an A. borelli female is using it.
A-1.jpg

The only limit is your imagination.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….