• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

breeding cacatuoides

ryuk

Ive got a small pair of double reds, at what size will they start to breed and should i use caves or small flower pots ?

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
at what size will they start to breed?" and "should i use caves or small flower pots"
They will breed at a few months old, not long after they are sexable. Either will do, I use 1/2 coconuts, but small clay pots or clay saucers are fine. The notch entrance needs to be fairly small, and the ceiling fairly low.

cheers Darrel

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just make certain that any cave has a narrow entrance, just large enough for the female to enter. The male (and other fish) doesn't need to enter the cave to fertilize the eggs.

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Mike how can the male fertilize the eggs if he can't get into the cave?
With apologies I'll pinch Mike question, the male can fan his milt into the cave, this is partially why you need a low ceiling. You can see see the male, in front of the cave "shimmying", with all his fins erect and then pulsing his body towards the cave entrance (and presumably releasing his sperm as he does it).

The entrances to many of my caves are so small the female has to turn sideways and wiggle to get through the entrance, so there is no way the male could get in even if she would let him in.

cheers Darrel

bettamuse

5 Year Member
Good luck with your spawning. No matter how many fish I breed I still get that little thrill at seeing a new spawn appear.
I've always found it best to put in some of everything, pots ,plates ,tubes etc. the fish will sort out which one they want to use. Some of mine spawn in pvc pipes and others just on the tank glass. Something I've noticed is that the longer the fish are captive bred the less fussy they seem about their breeding site.

T

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….