• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Brackish and Freshwater Fishes of the Guinean Ecoregion

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Lisa... can you get this book? It is a two volume set written by Melanie Staissny, Uli Schliewen and others. I saw a copy at Anton L.'s home and liked it a lot. It is more accessible to hobbyists than I thought it would be.

firetank

5 Year Member
Hi Ted, welcome back,

when I originally asked I was told this was essentially a book for scientists, is it not the case then????

cheers
Craig

Lisas Lair

5 Year Member
Lisa... can you get this book? It is a two volume set written by Melanie Staissny, Uli Schliewen and others. I saw a copy at Anton L.'s home and liked it a lot. It is more accessible to hobbyists than I thought it would be.

I can order it Ted, but it is VERY expensive. I'll look it up again (it's hard to find the publisher and I can't remember who it is) and I'll get back to you.

Ken

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The book is for scientists, but it does a very good job of describing collection localities, synonyms and has drawings of most species. Some photographs. It is also the most recent up to date list of fish from coastal West Africa. We used it when we got back to Austria to settle some argumetns about what we may have collected... turns out several of the fish that we thought were collected are not found in the region at all.

The books have a few limitations. First, they include only described species. Second, the books are a snapshot in time... and they will be inaccurate for some famlies and genera as upcoming revisions are completed (in Cichlidae, for example, we will see a new genus later this year, and revisions of Pelvicachromis, Hemichromis, Steatocranus and Tilapia over the next few years).

For now it is the best we got.

Lisas Lair

5 Year Member
I finally found my initial request for information on this book and it was just over a year ago when I sent it. I just requested up-to-date info on it. I will get back to you with the updated information as soon as I hear back from the publisher.

Ken

Lisas Lair

5 Year Member
its £79.95 this side of the water online for ref.....
That's about the same price I can buy them for Ted. It would be better for you to go through Steven Simpson in England - cheaper than I could do.

Ken

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….