• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Borellu not eating

newworldan06

5 Year Member
I bought 5 borelli on sunday from my local fish store. They tank they were in was #%$& and I dont know what kind of food was fed to them. Well I bought some cichlid formula 1 flakes, and he usually spits them back out many of my others do the same thing. I do not want to put brine shrimp in because they do not come out till they food and the brine shrimp would break down to fast. Any ideas or suggestions.

thanks

farm41

5 Year Member
One of the many benefits of live food, especially daphnia and CBW, they live in the tank till they get eaten.

Can you get either of these?

P.W.

5 Year Member
Easy solution! Start to feed with newly hatched brine shrimps for a week, and then the problem is solved.
Then switch to frozen food.
Flakefood for apistos just doesn´t work.

Best regards/ Per

P.W.

5 Year Member
No, there´s no problem with living brine shrimps. I have used this method many times with newly purchased fishes that won´t eat.

When everything is working ok, I switch to frozen mysis ( I use to catch about 20-30 kg every summer )
This time a year when northern Sweden become invaded by the mosquitos, I start to feed with living mosquito larvaes (black worms?).
Later in the summer I will add Daphnias and white mosquito larvaes to the menu.

When I eventually have nothing else to offer. I use to make a mix of "whitefish meat", Greenland shrimps and green peas. I use one third of each. I mix it in a "food-mixer?"(I don´t know the correct name of the machine).
When the mix is perfect. I put it into plastic bags and put them into the freezer.

Best regards/Per

newworldan06

5 Year Member
Could I feed them live brine for a week then feed them flake foods? or would have to feed them frozen? because that stuff gets spendy, and I dont have the foods you were talking about around here.

Terje

5 Year Member
My borellis takes newly hatched brine shrimps when I bother to hatch it. They seem to love it. But normally they get frozen mosquitolarveas and shrimp pellets, and they don't seem to eat any of the flake food I feed for the other fish. I'd try to give them shrimp pellets in stead of flake.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJM_Aquatics

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….